Seed Exchange

Reaction score
I was doing a search for seeds, when I came across several forums that do seed exchanges. I think this is a great idea I was wondering if anybody here was a part of some kind of seed exchange? Do you have any luck with the seeds. I know we have people from all over on here, but would it be possible to do a seed exchange here? I figure it would not cost a lot to send seeds, so the risk/cost would be low. There could also be an area to report any abusers of the system. What do you think?

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
We do a seed parcel on the UK forum, needs a moderator to run it though.

Members put down their names at the beginning of the year, someone starts it off with their surplus seeds, sends it to the next person on the list, (addresses are by pm only) Then they take what they want and add their surplus seeds, must be posted on to the next one on the list within 3 days, otherwise it wouldn't get round to everyone.

Ours has increased in weight this season and as a side line, folk add how many miles its travelled each time.

The mod running this seasons one kindly added re sealable plastic bags to the parcel :)

Last seasons one came to a dead halt when it got lost in the post :cry:

Reaction score
I think this is a great idea. I am always looking for new and fun things to plant and having the means of getting seeds from different parts of the country and world to try would be fabulous. Count me in.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
World is probably a non starter, like Cjk says, bio security is very strict with a lot of borders.

You could do one in America though, as long as you observe state rules ( What was it that was illegal in your state @Shellyann36 ?)

Who's volunteering to supervise the parcel then? :D

Reaction score
World is probably a non starter, like Cjk says, bio security is very strict with a lot of borders.

You could do one in America though, as long as you observe state rules ( What was it that was illegal in your state @Shellyann36 ?)

Who's volunteering to supervise the parcel then? :D

Gooseberries and thornberries are illegal here in NC. I would love to volunteer but I am swamped at the moment with kiddos. Would be willing to add extra seed though. :D

Reaction score
I am no good at supervising, just good at giving ideas. Yea, I kind of thought it would have to stay within the country, customs would probably put packages on a hiatus. What exactly would a supervisor do? I might be able to squeeze it into my schedule, if I had a helper. I am just not sure what is required of one, though.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
You'd need a list of folk wanting to take part, then just making sure whoever has the parcel gets it back in the post in 3 days and that they know who's next on the list to send it to.

You also need to make sure its only available to established members, so folk don't join up just to get free seeds.

I can't supervise it at the moment due to house sale, things are up in the air at the moment.

It's been a success in the UK, members are thrilled when they get it, and its getting bigger

Ask a Question