Rose of Sharon

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
United States
Does this look like iron deficiency or magnesium deficiency?

Attachments

• 2023-06-19_08-09-02.jpg
    2023-06-19_08-09-02.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 7

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
You need something like sequestion of iron. I don't know if I've spelt that correctly. Put it into some water and water it on the plants. The new leaves should look normal, not sure if the older ones will change back.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If it is an iron deficiency, you may want to check the pH of the soil before adding anything. High pH levels can cause plants to not be able to uptake it even if there is sufficient amounts in the soil.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
United States
If it is an iron deficiency, you may want to check the pH of the soil before adding anything. High pH levels can cause plants to not be able to uptake it even if there is sufficient amounts in the soil.
The same plant right beside doesn't have any problems. I'm going to test the pH tomorrow.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've seen this happen many times. Stop using tap water to fix it because its only making it worse. NO the problem here is the pH of the water you are putting on the plant. As the pH rises due to using tap water it locks up iron because of alkalinity. Catch some rainwater and only use rainwater and the yellowing will go away. If you can't catch any rain then use pH down with your water to lower the pH.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
United States
I've seen this happen many times. Stop using tap water to fix it because its only making it worse. NO the problem here is the pH of the water you are putting on the plant. As the pH rises due to using tap water it locks up iron because of alkalinity. Catch some rainwater and only use rainwater and the yellowing will go away. If you can't catch any rain then use pH down with your water to lower the pH.
We have well water but it's alkaline.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Acids dissolve metals. Check.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Tell me about it. Our well water is slightly acidic. Typical lifespan of fixtures is 7 to 10 years.

Which reminds me, it's been awhile since the well pump was replaced. Joy.

Ask a Question