Rose bed

Reaction score
Thank you for the compliment @Trellum. Just for you below 'Purple Tiger'. :)

View attachment 8935

When I first dug the bed for the roses I covered it in horse manure which was a great start for them when first planted. Since then I've been trying to keep up with my sandy soil that seems to devour everything that's put on it. Twice a year I empty the contents of my composter onto the bed and feed the roses with chicken manure pellets three times during the growing/flowering season. I'm no longer able to move the weight of horse manure around so the pellets are a good alternative. Apart from that I prune them back quite hard in early February and dead-head them continuously during the growing season. That's a must do, to keep them flowering. :) Roses prefer clay soil, but will cope with any if we're prepared to give it a little help with nutrients.

OH MY GOD!!!!! Gorgeous!!! That ought to be one of the most gorgeous roses I have ever seen in my entire life D: It's so perfect!! If there was a rose contest, this one would surely get the first prize!! No kidding, now when I think of you I will think of a garden full of the most amazing roses ever!! I'm very curious, does this one have a very strong smell?? And thanks a lot for all those tips! I'll keep them very handy, I might place a rose bush on the front yard later on, can you recommend me a variety?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Not exactly a garden full of roses Trellum, just nine. :) All the roses are perfumed but 'Purple Tiger' has finished blooming and I can't remember which one is which in respect of perfume. They all have different perfumes and 'Rob Roy' my red rose is the one I love, it has that old fashioned deep, sweet and heady perfume. :love:

I might place a rose bush on the front yard later on, can you recommend me a variety?

There are thousands of roses, so it's difficult to suggest any particular rose. Check out some rose nurseries on the web and see what takes your fancy, if there are any you'd like my opinion on don't be afraid to ask. :) All mine are Floribunda's, which means they are multi headed and once finished blooming will take a few weeks to bud and bloom again, perhaps twice more during the flowering season. They are also the toughest of roses, coping better with bad weather conditions than the others.

We are now into autumn here and although we're enjoying some sunny, dry weather it's chilly overnight. My roses are now past their best for this year but will continue to produce a few blooms, possibly until Christmas, depending on whether we have frost or not. The two pictures below I took earlier today.

Iceberg
IMG_4310.JPG

Lucky!
IMG_4312.JPG

Reaction score
@Sheal Gosh, all your roses look so fancy :cry::love: Thanks a lot for the advice, it sounds like the floribundas might be the roses for me, if they are as tough as you say they are, then I might not kill them :cautious::oops: I'm sure all your roses smell deliciously, I personally love roses because of that as well, the way they smell is incredible! I'd love to find a perfume that had some of the rose aroma in it, but no luck so far :( I forgot to ask you the other time though, where do you get the chicken pellets?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
You can't go wrong with floribunda's, they work hard to put on a great display every year. :)

I forgot to ask you the other time though, where do you get the chicken pellets?

We can buy the chicken manure pellets here from some supermarkets that have a gardening section or garden centres and do-it-yourself stores.They can also be bought from online sites like Ebay but they weigh heavy and there may be a delivery charge.

Reaction score
@Sheal Thanks, I will try to see if I can find those locally, it seems the people living in the north of the Netherlands are indeed very much into gardening (y) I think they have more garden centers than any other store, so many gardening centers! It's crazy! I hope i can find those there, thanks a lot <3

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
They're so gorgeous!!! I love the Ebb Tide rose, its petals seem very soft and silky. Their color is absolutely beautiful:)

Ask a Question