Rose bed

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Your Rob Roy does look wonderful. Wish we had a fragrance dial!:LOL: I'd love to be able to sniff the aroma. Roses really are a lovely flower.
Thank you DeborahJane. Rob Roy has a wonderful old fashioned perfume. If you think of an old red rose in the garden of your grandparents with a deep, sweet, heady aroma, you'll be just about there. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
'Rob Roy' has put on a wonderful performance this year. :)
IMG_1141.JPG

'Brushstrokes'
IMG_1144.JPG

'Iceberg'
IMG_1146.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Gorgeous roses @Sheal! I didn't really get any photos of mine this year, I'll try and take some when we've got the second bloom.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Your roses are stunning, though! I've never grown roses except for some wild climbing ones at a previous house. So they bloom all season?

Thank you everyone for the compliments. :) They tend to bloom from the end of May right through to the first frosts which the island gets very few of, so we could see one or two flowers around Christmas time but that's rare.

I'd love to see photo's of your roses please @Becky.

Reaction score
I'm not kidding when I say that your roses have taken my breath away, and if I ever feel like growing roses... now I know I should aspire to have roses just like yours! They are so colorful and big!!! They are huge, they must be so well fed! I can tell they're getting all the nutrients they need, they're gorgeous!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you for the compliment @Trellum. Just for you below 'Purple Tiger'. :)

Rose 'Purple Tiger' (1).JPG

When I first dug the bed for the roses I covered it in horse manure which was a great start for them when first planted. Since then I've been trying to keep up with my sandy soil that seems to devour everything that's put on it. Twice a year I empty the contents of my composter onto the bed and feed the roses with chicken manure pellets three times during the growing/flowering season. I'm no longer able to move the weight of horse manure around so the pellets are a good alternative. Apart from that I prune them back quite hard in early February and dead-head them continuously during the growing season. That's a must do, to keep them flowering. :) Roses prefer clay soil, but will cope with any if we're prepared to give it a little help with nutrients.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
I was away for a few days and missed seeing this post. I just could not help envying you. looking at these marvels. Those buds getting ready to bloom took might my breath away:whistle::whistle::whistle:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Buds
Thank you everyone for your lovely comments.:)

Grouie, the clusters of flowers are on a particular type of rose called a Floribunda which are naturally multi headed. They are also a hardy rose which is why I chose them and they flower right through summer and autumn/fall to the first frosts, approximately six to seven months of the year. Although the island rarely sees ice or snow compared to the rest of Britain it has more rainfall, less heat and an almost constant breeze or wind. Winter months bring gales often reaching force 8 and sometimes reaching force 10. My home is also in a coastal position which will explain the sandy soil. You can probably understand why the roses as well as the rest of the plants in my garden have to be tough. :)

I think you may have changed your mind about living in my garden after reading my answer above IcyBC. :D The rest of my garden, where the roses are at the front of my house is mainly lawn, there is just one other large eye shaped bed, I'll take a picture of it. :)

The beds in my gardens are still coming into bloom for summer, they are quite late this year although the Lupins have done well from late spring.

View attachment 7530

'Super Trouper' having moved on from bud stage but not fully open, is a lovely deep shade of orange.
View attachment 7531
or no

Buds or no buds your roses are rare and so are the photographs!!!!!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Your 'Purple Tiger' is gorgeous, Sheal! What a unique and beautiful variety! This combination of red, pink and white looks lovely:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you for your kind words Grouie and Claudine. :)

If we're prepared to give them the care they need, roses are very rewarding to grow. The British climate suits them too. When I eventually move house I will be down sizing my garden due to health issues so a rose bed will probably take up to much room. Depending on the design of that future garden I will probably have one or two climbing roses instead. :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
"
Thank you for the compliment @Trellum. Just for you below 'Purple Tiger'. :)

View attachment 8935

When I first dug the bed for the roses I covered it in horse manure which was a great start for them when first planted. Since then I've been trying to keep up with my sandy soil that seems to devour everything that's put on it. Twice a year I empty the contents of my composter onto the bed and feed the roses with chicken manure pellets three times during the growing/flowering season. I'm no longer able to move the weight of horse manure around so the pellets are a good alternative. Apart from that I prune them back quite hard in early February and dead-head them continuously during the growing season. That's a must do, to keep them flowering. :) Roses prefer clay soil, but will cope with any if we're prepared to give it a little help with nutrients.
All spectacular Sheal. I'm taking notes and hope I'll carry them out. I did purchase an actual rose feed. I must rummage around in my garden shed and feed my poor things. :confused: But I do also have some chicken manure so I can give them a banquet:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you Deborah. :) The roses will always benefit from a feed but don't use the rose feed and chicken manure together, it will be to much. Don't forget to keep them watered too, they are both hungry and thirsty plants.

Ask a Question