Romanesco Broccoli

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have grown them a few times over the years and they are good. For some reason I could never get good production from them though, at least not when compared to regular brocolli.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I always grow my brassicas during fall and winter so the temps were OK. I "think" it has to do with my high Ph but I'm not sure as other brassicas do great. Sort of like other vegetables like corn. I can grow some varieties of corn but fail with others. I chalk it up to just another of the earth's mysteries.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Sounds very interesting. Just ordered some seeds. This is prime time here for them.

My soil produces some of the best tasting brassicas anywhere. Looking forward to trying these.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
The market near me that I have only seen them at in all of this county, And there are lots of Amish markets everywhere. That market is only open on Thursday-Saturdays, Got 3 big ones two weeks ago, still working on the last one. have to get back for more this week. The market is not an Amish market BTW.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I remember purschasing some seeds from Park Seed literally decades ago. I recall getting a few small heads, but I might be able to do better now. I also remember seeing them often in markets in Italy in Winter. The name 'Romanesco' is not a misnomer, it seems they have been grown in Italy since at least the Renaissance.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I first learned of this plant (Romanesco) by watching the cooking show (Beat Bobby Flay). I bought a pack of seeds and was fairly successful in germinating them, but they all got overtaken by other plants. I also grow Broccoli every year, with pretty good success.

The broccoli season is over for me now here in Florida, all my plants have flowered and I just let the birds eat the seeds before I chop and drop.

However, I do have this one "broccoli" plant growing under a N2-fixing Cassia tree (Senna bicapsularis) I bought as a host plant for the Cloudless Sulfur butterfly. This "broccoli" plant has been getting much bigger than the other broccoli plants, but it has not flowered, but it looks just like all the other broccoli plants. I was thinking that it was getting too much N2 from this very fertile area under the tree, preventing it to flower.

But then just today, I looked down into the center of the plant and now I see the very distinct Romanesco inflorescence emerging, with a bunch of smaller inflorescence buds around the circumference of the plant.

Now I'm wondering which inflorescence to allow to flower and which to taste test.

The size of the plant is about meter tall, by a meter wide.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Sounds very interesting. Just ordered some seeds. ...
My finding is that it (Romanesco) doesn't produce the big tight heads that I love and in fact produces less than others. My favorites continue to be green magic and lieutenant broccoli for this climate.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My finding is that it (Romanesco) doesn't produce the big tight heads that I love and in fact produces less than others. My favorites continue to be green magic and lieutenant broccoli for this climate.
I haven't tried those yet. Have you tried Sun King Hybrid?

Ask a Question