How do you know when your broccoli is ready to harvest

Reaction score
Country
Canada
This is my first time growing broccoli. How do you know when it is ready to harvest?

20210717_100342.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
This is my first time growing broccoli. How do you know when it is ready to harvest?

View attachment 83342
Yours looks like it is very close to harvest. When it starts to barely turn yellow, like yours is, it is close. I normally wait until the head starts to separate just a little, but that is just my preference. You could harvest it now. The slight yellowing means it is just now starting to make flowers. Once it has flowers it isn't good.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Thanks for the reply Chuck. I thought it was pretty close to harvest myself but I wasn't sure. I didn't want to let it go to far. It looks like broccoli will be on the menu for tomorrow's supper.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Unless you are growing only one plant, start taking it NOW, or you'll be inundated.
Broccoli does not stand for long & it's far better on the way up than when it's past its peak.

Ask a Question