Groundhog ate my broccoli...

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hiii I’m new to the gardening world. I had a groundhog eat my broccoli plants down to the stalks. I’m assuming that they won’t grow but wanted to make sure before I rip the plants out. Does anyone know if they will still grow?!
Thank you in advance!!!

Attachments

• EDFD5DBE-220E-4B2B-900C-130A5564CCF5.jpeg
    EDFD5DBE-220E-4B2B-900C-130A5564CCF5.jpeg
    335.2 KB · Views: 95
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hiii I’m new to the gardening world. I had a groundhog eat my broccoli plants down to the stalks. I’m assuming that they won’t grow but wanted to make sure before I rip the plants out. Does anyone know if they will still grow?!
Thank you in advance!!!
No, they won't come back but you might get some side shoots to go along with the following link.:D

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a plant that was still fairly young chopped down by slugs, it did make a sort of recovery, but it was never really worthwhile. I don't know how older plants would do.
You have my sympathy, a badger once ate my entire strawberry crop and destroyed the plants doing it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Krisdee, replant if possible. Those broccoli plants won't recover enough to merit the space they occupy. I'm so sorry for your garden loss--we have had similar experiences with wildlife feasting on plants.
When you replant, surround each broccoli plant with a small cage. I use those otherwise useless tomato cages, but chicken wire or any mesh will do.
Fresh from the garden broccoli is so very much better than the grocery broccoli. I do hope you get to enjoy your very own, home grown broccoli!

Ask a Question