I planted some broccoli, and all I got was this lousy leaf :(

Reaction score
Country
United States
broc.jpg

I used Miracle-Gro All Purpose Garden Soil (don't tell me - that was my problem!) and put a few seeds in. It gets plenty of light and water, but the only thing that is growing is that leaf-thing.

What did I not do that I should have?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
1624951916738.png
growing this .........in this
1624951993291.png
....is not a good plan, and sowing the seed outside in the garden might be a better idea. Oh yes, and that bag of MG stuff is a no no. :giggle:
Are you going to pop your leaf thing into the ground outside?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
It at least needs a much bigger pot. That leaf thing needs to grow many more leaf things, then it will form a flower head, which is your broccoli. It is a cool weather crop, so it might bolt in this weather.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
This is my first year growing broccoli in containers and so far so good. I use a 2 parts coco coir 1 part organic compost 1 part worm castings for the soil medium mixed with chicken manure pellets. I have also been fertilizing with Alaska fish fertilizer 5 1 1 and 0 10 10. The pot is a plastic 55 gallon barrel cut in half. I used to be a miracle gro guy but I have far better results with organics.

20210701_141223.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I had some broccoli in a large container on my deck that was doing beautifully until the first sprigs started sprouting and then apparently word got out because within one day they were all eaten! I got barely a taste of one of the smaller plants, but the rest were gone. I had hoped they would sprout more, but then the leaves were eaten too. Total decimation! My kale also. Whatever was eating it was not visible to me. Snails at night maybe? Sad.

Ask a Question