Advice on newly planted 170cm rootball 'Common Laurel'

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I live in a slightly exposed coastal area and have recently decided to plant a 15 meter row of Laurels along the fence in our back garden. I ordered rootball common Laurel each around 170cm give or take 10cm and planted them around 2 weeks ago now. So far so good (early days I know) but I just wanted to list off what I've done and ask advice on how much I should cut these plants back and when.

I'm confident that the trench I dug was sufficiently wide and deep and the plants are spaced at around just shy of 2.5 per meter. I loosened up the soil at the bottom of the trench and put down a layer of compost mixed with bonemeal as well. Have filled back in the same soil which had a bit of chalk here and there, in places I've mixed in some topsoil as well with the original soil. I've then put down a generous layer of soil enricher/mulch and run a soaker hose along the length of the hedge and the plants have been getting a good amount of water. The hose is on around 90 minutes a day overall roughly and we've had good rainfall. I hope this will all help the hedge establish?

My main question concerns cutting the hedge back. Some of the plants look slightly hollowed in the middle and top heavy so I want to thicken them up and also help the roots establish. I cut around 6 to 9 inches off some of the plants upon planting them but should I do more? Also, what would be the best time for me to cut them back? Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Let them get established for about a month and then cut to size. The ones with the 'hollow' middles will thicken up as time goes by. If they are already bigger at the top than the bottom trim some off so they don't crowd the ones on either side. Remember to trim them like an "A" not a "V", in other words wider at the bottom than the top. This will insure that you don't end up with "bare legs" down the road. If you want hem to grow faster, use an all-purpose food or one with a high first number (extra Nitrogen for growth). Follow the package instructions. You probably only need to water them twice a week if it doesn't rain. Too much water can kill as easily as not enough.

Ask a Question