Rock Gardens

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
Has anyone seen a rock garden before?

I had never really experienced them until moving to Japan. There's a few quite famous ones, probably the most famous is Ryoan-Ji down in Kyoto.

There's some beautiful pictures of some rock gardens here - http://www.insidekyoto.com/kyotos-best-zen-gardens

I think they're stunning and they just offer something different to traditional gardens!

Reaction score
I have never seen one in person, but I have heard about them :) Japanese zen gardens are very popular in Japan, but to be honest I don't think I will ever attempt one (my house is tiny). A rock garden is a good idea for those who are familiar with the concept and have the space for it. I wish I was one of those :(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That is just incredible art to see! The intricate lines and designs are just out of this world. Beautiful!

I have never seen on in real life, but I have only heard of them and see pictures online.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
That is just incredible art to see! The intricate lines and designs are just out of this world. Beautiful!

I have never seen on in real life, but I have only heard of them and see pictures online.

I can only imagine the level of patience it would take to create them. Sometimes when you visit places like that, you see the groundskeepers painstakingly sweeping and raking the rocks/gravel back into place!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@amelia88 Few years back I was mesmerized by the sand art created by Monks. It just is remarkable how such a beautiful piece of art coming to life. The patience of those monks, the cooperation between them, and the designs they came up with were amazing. Have you seen it? Here is a link:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
@amelia88 Few years back I was mesmerized by the sand art created by Monks. It just is remarkable how such a beautiful piece of art coming to life. The patience of those monks, the cooperation between them, and the designs they came up with were amazing. Have you seen it? Here is a link:

I had never seen ANYTHING like that - watching it was almost hypnotizing for me! How incredible - you're absolutely right, the patience and cooperation between them just blows my mind!

Thank you so much for sharing the video - it makes me want to visit there, imagine seeing that done in person!

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
The Rock Gardens are beautiful, I really liked the design in the sand, it makes me want to have one in my yard.

Reaction score
Country
United States
There was this beautiful bed and breakfast in Arkansas that actually has one. It was my first time seeing one, you know in person and not on a movie or such, and I was just awed. I wish I could have something so beautiful one day, but I just don't think I'd have the patience to do it.

Reaction score
Country
United States
There are so many different kinds of garden that incorporate rock. Zen rock gardens, Alpine rock gardens, desert rock gardens, etc. etc.
For the Japanese Zen style in North America there is a particularly fine garden in Portland. For the Alpine type, I would recommend the Denver Botanical Garden. among others.

Ask a Question