Rock Gardens In Dry Areas

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
rockgarden 1.jpg
rockgarden2.jpg

In areas that are dry or on a slope many people will switch to a rock garden. When I lived in California during a dry season this is what people did with their front yards.

I like the low maintenance of a rock garden.

Reaction score
How beautiful. I guess you can't use the excuse that your yard is too hilly for a garden. If you can't put in plants, put in rocks. Then, put in some hardy plants which don't mind growing near rocks like the ones pictured here.

Reaction score
I love the look of rocks amongst the plants. There are so many native plants here in California that are low water yet make nice landscaping. I am a cactus fan and it also fits well with boulders or rock walls like in the picture.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Those rock gardens are beautiful! I love heather and alpine plants, they are so pretty :)

Reaction score
Pat - lovely pictures and particularly like the last one that you posted - I love these sort of gardens and we do something very similar to your last picture where I live - but as we have to deal with near on vertical slopes and drought conditions - the areas are planted with easy care succulents and drought tolerant plants - rather than ferns and alpines and would definitely agree with you that when done properly - they look very attractive and natural :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
These pictures are gorgeous! I thought that I don't like rock gardens, but now, I changed my mind:D. I love them! They remind me of Cathy, Heathcliff and Wuthering Heights.
I'd love to have a rock garden:love:

This looks perfect:

building-a-rockery-garden.jpg

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Claudine you are so right, it does remind me of "Wuthering Heights", that was one of my favorite books. Glad you liked the pictures.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I've always loved this book too. I read it so many times already! I read it at least once a year:D
Rock gardens really are beautiful. There is something so romantic about them!
This one looks very pretty:

rock-garden-ideas-large-design-all-room.jpg

And here is a miniature rock garden:

rock_garden.jpg

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Claudine I love that yard, a lady in the neighborhood has been working on her yard to look similar to the picture you included. It is a work of love.

Reaction score
I love heather but I never seem to see it much in gardens in the area that I live in. Alpine gardens are delightful, I'd love to have one but I don't really have the space to put one in. Thanks to everyone who shared their thoughts and photos, they are really beautiful gardens and I am green with envy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Claudine I love that yard, a lady in the neighborhood has been working on her yard to look similar to the picture you included. It is a work of love.
I know that my parents plan to make a small rock garden too, but they never have enough time to start collecting rocks:p
I'm sure it's a lot of hard work to make your garden look like this. But it's worth it:)

This one is beautiful, isn't it?:

21967_2_P6160057.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I like it! This garden looks very tidy, somebody must have been taking a good care of it:) The round flower pot in the centre and the plant that grows in it remind me of a fountain. It's a lovely place!

Ask a Question