Reusable Canning Lids - I'm impressed!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
The seals on those are manufactured to be one time use only. in fact, just look at the indention the rim leaves, and you will know. Im not saying they don't work a second time or so, but be careful. The reusable design is available, and is meant for reuse..... just say'n......

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
The seals on those are manufactured to be one time use only. in fact, just look at the indention the rim leaves, and you will know. Im not saying they don't work a second time or so, but be careful. The reusable design is available, and is meant for reuse..... just say'n......

I use them as long as they seal. Reminder the product sealed is fresh. The manufactures charge too much for the product. I do periodically buy some in bulk and found they fail about similar to reused seals. But as I mentioned turning the jars upside down after pressure canning eliminate failures, but what mechanism I do not know.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Canning lids are not something I want to re-use. At less than $.40 per on Amazon, I'm not going to risk the health of anyone who may eat my preserved food. At about $1.60 per on Amazon, the re-usable lids just don't compute for me....but just my 2cents worth.
There’s a major canning lid shortage right now. It’s good to have reusable lids on hand. I’ve been seeing $.75 per lid and over $1.00 per lid if you find any at all…. (There are cheaper off-brands for around $.20 each, but they aren’t as trustworthy as Ball). This has been going on about a year now. I get lucky sometimes and some freshly stocked shelves, but they sell out fast. A lot of places are only allowing a maximum number for purchase per person. It’s crazy! Glad I have my Tattler lids.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I have always used Ball lids but several years ago Walmart and every other store was sold out. This was pre-pandemic. I opted to buy the Walmart brand. I had no problems with the lids sealing. This year I ordered lids from Blains Farm & Fleet. They are made in china and are the same lids sold by Walmart and craft stores. I still have a raincheck for Ball lids at a local farm store but if they don't come in soon, I will give these new lids a chance.
I never reuse my lids for canning, just for storage. It's actually cheaper right now to buy cases of jars with lids than buying Ball lids alone!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I reuse lids depending on condition and prior canning method.

If previously used in hot water bath, I will reuse for pressure canning or another hot water bath.

After the seal has deformed, or pressure canned, then refrigerator or dry goods only.

This has worked for my family for decades, indeed some stuff my grandmother made in the 90s was still sealed when cleaning out the house in the teens.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Your old lids can be re used , the key is sterile sterile sterile. Gerber sells a sterilizer for babby bottles that is very efficient and wont damage the lid . All part should be sterile anyway, truthfully a cardboard box is not sterile.

Ask a Question