Reusable Canning Lids - I'm impressed!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Canned some Dilly Beans recently and thought I'd be double productive and make a video on how to use the Tattler reusable lids. There's a HUGE lid shortage right now. I've learned that these reusable ones are on backorder all the time. Glad I got mine early on. Anywho... these lids go on the jars a bit different than the traditional ones. Hope this helps some folks out.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
I tried the reusable lids and quit using them. I now reuse the composite lid. Carefully open sealed jars to not damage the lid. Failure rate is low and acceptable. I replace periodically by buying bulk lids. The bulk lids are smooth which facilitates writing on them with a black pen.

Excellent video making by the way.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Canning lids are not something I want to re-use. At less than $.40 per on Amazon, I'm not going to risk the health of anyone who may eat my preserved food. At about $1.60 per on Amazon, the re-usable lids just don't compute for me....but just my 2cents worth.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 6b
Country
United States
I am glad you guys are posting this. this will be my 2nd year canning and i just assumed you could reuse the lids from last year

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I don't know if it was a mistake or not but at Dollar General the other day I bought lids only for $.17 per or $1.99 per dozen. Purchased 10 boxes. Anyone who uses regular lids more than once is an order of fries short in a Happy Meal. It will only take once to cure them of this mental disorder.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Think! A jar that doesn't seal means the contents are exposed to OXYGEN, hence no botulism. All that is grown is bacteria which spoils the contents. This result is probably obvious. There are few botulism cases in NA in any given year.

Botulism outbreaks are quite rare. In recent years, about two cases per year have been reported in Canada.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 6b
Country
United States
Canning lids are not something I want to re-use. At less than $.40 per on Amazon, I'm not going to risk the health of anyone who may eat my preserved food. At about $1.60 per on Amazon, the re-usable lids just don't compute for me....but just my 2cents worth.
do you reuse the bands? or get new both

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I only buy Ball lids. The Tattler Reusable Lids are for backup. They work great if you learn how to use them. NEVER reuse traditional lids....... only the ones that were designed to reuse, like Tattler has.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I tried the reusable lids and quit using them. I now reuse the composite lid. Carefully open sealed jars to not damage the lid. Failure rate is low and acceptable. I replace periodically by buying bulk lids. The bulk lids are smooth which facilitates writing on them with a black pen.

Excellent video making by the way.
"composite"? are you talking about the standard metal lids like Ball lids?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Yes! always throw the lids away, or use them for 'refridgerator' storage jar lids. Agree!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
ty looking on amazon for just lids. pretty much everything is made in china.
yes. All the good lids are sold out! This is why people are starting to buy the Reusable lids like in the video.
Luckily, I have a lot of Ball lids in storage, just because I can a lot and have been canning for years.
Since COVID, there's been a major spike in interest of preservation and being self-reliant. All of a sudden, my friends understand me! LOL!

Ask a Question