Pressure Canning in the UK.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Lets have some input on pressure canning for preserving produce in the UK.

I am an absolute expert on the process, acquired by experimenting and practice.

I am astonished that the pressure canning is not a common practice in the UK. The Presto Pressure Canner is ideal and difficult to improve on.
Dialogue please?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Since taking up pressure canning, inspired by you, Durgan, I have found that not only is garden produce worth preserving, but I can batch cook chilli con carne, and other recipes high in liquid, and save freezer space by pressure-canning portions.
I grew all the ingredients for a vegetarian pasta sauce last summer, and still have a couple of jars left, six jars of preserved pears, and 8 of preserved sweetcorn, which I found to be far better than frozen, when preserved at 15psi for 15 mins.
I waste far less produce since I began pressure canning, and would thoroughly recommend it as a way to eat less additives in our food.
The cost of the equipment is considerably higher in the UK than in N. America, but I still feel it's worthwhile.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Wow! What canner do you have?

I use the canner for normal pressure cooking. It is a bit large but no problem.

Grease the lid gasket surface with a finger dipped in cooking oil before each use. It will insure that the gasket lasts forever.

If you process produce that foams place it in a colander to keep out of water, and steam cook.
(beans, and grains, and similar)

Never use the pressure cooker as a covered pot, since it will overheat the lid gasket and ruin it.

I normally use 3 liters of water. Do not let the pot run out of water, since it twists the bottom causing uneven heating.

Jars need not be sterilized since the 240F plus at 15 PSI pressure cooking temperature does this while cooking. Just clean carefully.

Solid chunks of produce can insulate and might cause bacteria issues, hence I slurry all and sundry.

I simply mix and drink a glass or two from my sideboard.

I now never do water bath canning.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Important point.

Allow all the air to escape by not putting the weight in place at the beginning of cooking.

Leave the weight off until the air is streaming out of the hole. Then apply the weight and allow the pressure to reach 15 PSI then start the timer. You want a full 15 minutes, which is excessive but does no harm.

Ask a Question