Replacing a Laurel to provide cover - suggestions?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
When we moved in, we didn't spend a lot of time tackling the back of the garden - but that's my project for one day next week. There's a big laurel at the back of the garden, and I really want to replace it with something else - it's just too unwieldy and requires constant trimming because it grows so fast in this location.

I'd be interested to hear some suggestions for something I could replace it with, ideally something no more than 3m max height, lower maintenance and something that will provide colour for a decent amount of the year. There's someone's car parked right behind that laurel, so I'd like to get it replaced with something that will provide decent cover fairly quickly.

Here's a photo taken this morning - there's no hiding that laurel in this pic ;):

DSC_0284.JPG

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the replies guys, I'll have a look at those suggestions now :).

Unfortunately, I can't go for Yew as we've already got so much of it in the garden - including a huge yew tree right in the middle of the lawn.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Privet grows fairly fast and is easier to cut than laurel.

A much more attractive hedging plant is beech but it takes longer to grow. Although it's deciduous it retains its leaves throughout the winter, until the new ones grow. The winter leaves are an attractive brown colour.

images

Removing laurel is not easy. It depends on how long it has been there.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks @Bootsy, I've been considering privet for another part of the garden where we have a laurel ledge that got out of control before we moved in. I cut it right back (to the point that would kill anything other than laurel), and it's just about got it under control. However, I think I'll be digging it up later in the year as it grows far too fast for such an awkward place for me to trim.

Reaction score
Although I can think of quite a number of shrubs that may well be worth considering - my immediate thoughts are -

One of the many varieties of Viburnum as not only do they grow fairly densely but they are also one of the most attractive and versatile ornamental shrubs around especially as they are very adaptable to almost all conditions and locations - plus the fact that as all Viburnums are really low maintenance with really attractive evergreen foliage and there are literally a hundred or so different varieties to choose from - some of which have beautiful blossoms and spectacular autumn color as well as ones that flower in the winter too - I think that would be an ideal replacement to your laurel or at least one that would be well be worth considering.

As would Photinia Davidiana " Palette "

Photinia Davidiana Palette.jpg

which is a stunning fairly dense growing low maintenance evergreen shrub often used by landscapers as a specimen shrub - as apart from its tendency to grow in an attractive informal pyramid shape its beautiful variegated foliage with splashes of pink, cream, green, white and red gives year round interest too - as the colors vary in intensity throughout the year

Photinia Davidiana Palette - in pot.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Both good suggestions. :)

Ian would need to check with his local experts as to whether viburnum would be suitable. Under normal circumstances it is very tough and little bothers it.

Unfortunately, in some parts of the UK in recent years, there has been a major problem with Viburnum Beetle. It's not quite so bad now and a dose of Viburnum Beetle killer around April/May time should protect it.

Viburnum would be my choice of those two as, as gata montes says, there are some very nice flowering ones and they're very low maintenance.

I have a number of Viburnums and just cut them with a hedge cutter once a year.

Reaction score
Ian would need to check with his local experts as to whether viburnum would be suitable. Under normal circumstances it is very tough and little bothers it.

Although I appreciate and I'm sure Ian does too that you were only issuing a word of caution - one of the main reasons that I suggested Viburnums was as I mentioned - because they are very adaptable to almost all conditions and locations - meaning that they will grow in almost any climate, sun or shade as well as ANY type of soil - in fact as I have successfully grown many different types of viburnum in many, many different countries I know this to be true and to be honest - as most good quality nurseries generally only sell the varieties known to do well in their geographical area - you usually can't go too far wrong when choosing viburnum.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
I certainly agree with you but when there's an invasive insect that has been badly affecting a plant it's always best to check. The Viburnum Beetle was attacking all varieties. Two years ago the Royal Horticultural Society listed it as the Number 1 foe. I'm not sure it is now but it can be checked.

We suffered with Viburnum Beetle, quite badly, but we managed to eradicate it fairly easily by following the recommended treatment. :)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I like Viburnum and there are a number of them a little further down our street, so hopefully that means that we're not in a problematic area. I'll check with our neighbours and ask them if they've had problems. Box blight is problematic around here, but that's the only major problem I'm aware of (some Chafer grubs causing problems nearby too now that I think of it).

Can you grow Italian cypress? Ian
Or a tall thin never have to prune juniper
Will check that out now to see the max height, thanks! We've got a smaller variant in our front garden either side of the door and the look great, really suits being alongside the box hedge.

If all goes to plan, I'm off to the nursery this weekend to have a look around at the shortlist. Will post some pics if I get anything :D.

Last edited:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
@Ian I guess from your hardiness zone that you're likely to be on the west coast. I don't think the beetle troubled that area.

Thanks Bootsy, that's good to know! Yes, I'm just south of Manchester so near the west coast (lots of rain :eek:).

Ask a Question