Help. What is earing my Skip laurel bushes? Red spots

Reaction score
Country
United States
I found some leaves are half eaten. Today i notice red bright spots on the leaves. Any idea what it could be?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    92.2 KB · Views: 892
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Those look like eggs and since the leaves are eaten I would assume that they were caterpillar eggs. And the best way to eliminate caterpillars is with a Bt spray.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

The marks pictured are neither insects nor eggs of any kind. They are extra-floral nectaries, an innate part of the plant itself.
Such nectaries occur on the leaves of English Laurel (Prunus laurocerasus), and in various places on numerous other plants. The nectaries serve as food for one or more beneficial organisms that the plant wishes to attract. Often these are predatory insects, such as ants or wasps that will protect the plant from herbivory in order to protect their nectar source.

Schipka Cherry-Laurel (Prunus laurocerasus 'Schipkaensis'), also known as Skip Laurel, is a dwarf form of English Laurel collected near Schipka Pass in Bulgaria. Schipka Cherry-Laurel also has narrower leaves than typical English laurel.

Ask a Question