Chain of hearts help!!!! white spots appearing?!

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I noticed the other day that my very big and beautiful chain of hearts, has little white and some yellowish spots appearing on the leaves! could someone please tell me what it is and how to stop it from killing my baby!???

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    291.6 KB · Views: 484
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 619

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Never grow this, but have a look

Common pests are mealybugs, aphids and scale insects. Also watch for these at the soil line where they may go undetected.

Looks like scale insects, but not certain. Whatever they are, might be a good idea to remove them and change the soil. Incorporate a bit of sand or grit on the surface of the compost to stop the critter from making your pot a home and your plant a feast!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
The easiest thing for you to do now is cut each chain to about 4 or 5 leaves long. Do this outside away from any other plants. I would do it in the middle of the driveway. Sterilize your cutters when finished. Remove the plant from the pot, wash the pot then spray it with a disinfectant. Wash it again. Now follow alp’s advice and dig into the roots to see what is there. I would bare root it but that can be risky if you haven’t done it before. Now go to work on the remaining leaves and wash them clean with an insecticidal soap. Visually check each leaf to be sure nothing remains. Repot it in some sterile potting soil and water it in good. Don’t fertilize until you see new growth.

Did I say easy?:confused:

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

The pest on the String of Hearts (Ceropegia woodii) in the OP are a species of Scale Insect (Coccoidea, Hemiptera).

Remove any visible scale with a tool (a sharpened pencil works well), and then spray the plant with insecticidal soap. Repeat both steps as necessary until the infestation has abated. One may prune off the worst-affected stems to make treatment easier and more effective. Starting over by striking clean cuttings in fresh soil is also an excellent option.

String of Hearts (Ceropegia woodii), also known as Rosary Vine, is a succulent trailing plant in the Dogbane Family (Apocynaceae), native to southeastern Africa. It is commonly grown by succulent fanciers and can make a fine houseplant in colder climates.

Ask a Question