Refractive index

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Just getting into the use of the refractive index (RI) to measure the quality of the veggies I grow.

My reasons for growing my own veggies are 1) superior taste and 2) high nutrient density. My soil test lab assigns a nutrient density score to each soil test I send in, and I have found, not surprisingly, that the higher that score the higher the taste and quality of the vegetable produced from it and presumably the nutrient density.

However, I've been unable to directly measure the taste or nutrient density of my produce. I have found one can easily measure the refractive index (RI) of my produce in terms of the Brix value. The Brix value tells you how much dissolved sugar is in a liquid solution. Get a drop of liquid from your veggies, put it on a Brix meter and magic you get the Brix value. This value is indicated in degrees Brix. A high Brix value indicates a good taste and quality of your crop. It also is indicative, research shows, the higher the Brix the sweeter the taste, the longer the veggies can be stored, the more resistant to insect attacks, and the higher the nutrient density.

Research shows also that measuring the RI has many limitations. I can imagine a whole range of tests that I can perform using this technique. I have the refractometer and some Brix charts and just now jumping into this world.

To those of you who measure RI through the Brix value, please share your experiences good or bad with this technique. Thanks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
This article is pretty damning - it explains various reasons why a BRIX value doesn't mean nutritious veg.

However, I'd have thought it would be useful as one of many techniques for spotting change in your own crops. What you can't really tell (according to the article) is whether it really is change for the better or worse.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
With all due respect, I'm interested in personal hands-on experience from gardeners. I am very capable of doing my own research and have done so. What I'm after is hand-on experience. But thanks anyway.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Feel free to ignore. Someone else might find it interesting :)

Here's some first hand experience from Huw (no dig guy on youtube). He's comparing his home grown crops with shop bought, non organic varities. He didn't know what to expect - he did the testing on video.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Your results will be interesting, but most results are coming in at 5 - and the meter goes to thirty. I think RI is meant for grape juice and wine. The misleading part is that fresh produce has more
juice and is therefore at a disadvantage against older and more dehydrated products - like shop produce. Also salt and sugar will push the RI higher and may not be good for your health.
I was keen on the Brix idea when I came to this forum but now I think immunity to disease is our best guide to plant health and nutrition.
Just getting into the use of the refractive index (RI) to measure the quality of the veggies I grow.

My reasons for growing my own veggies are 1) superior taste and 2) high nutrient density. My soil test lab assigns a nutrient density score to each soil test I send in, and I have found, not surprisingly, that the higher that score the higher the taste and quality of the vegetable produced from it and presumably the nutrient density.

However, I've been unable to directly measure the taste or nutrient density of my produce. I have found one can easily measure the refractive index (RI) of my produce in terms of the Brix value. The Brix value tells you how much dissolved sugar is in a liquid solution. Get a drop of liquid from your veggies, put it on a Brix meter and magic you get the Brix value. This value is indicated in degrees Brix. A high Brix value indicates a good taste and quality of your crop. It also is indicative, research shows, the higher the Brix the sweeter the taste, the longer the veggies can be stored, the more resistant to insect attacks, and the higher the nutrient density.

Research shows also that measuring the RI has many limitations. I can imagine a whole range of tests that I can perform using this technique. I have the refractometer and some Brix charts and just now jumping into this world.

To those of you who measure RI through the Brix value, please share your experiences good or bad with this technique. Thanks.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Yes, it is widely used in wine making. I plan to use it to see the relative numbers of my canned veggies vs fresh veggie. I would like to develop a profile of them over time up to a couple of years in the cans.

Also, I'm looking to determine the very peak of taste in veggies like corn and tomatoes while they are growing.

I'd also like to assess the steps I take in soil replenishment and correlate those to the nutrient density scores my lab assigns to my soil samples. For example, the relative numbers of green manure and chop and drop, and compost.

I'd also like to determine the optimum length of time needed for green manure soil assimilation, the relative values of Sunn Hemp, alfalfa, cow peas, clovers, etc. in their effects on soil building. I could go on and on...and I'm certain I will with this new toy. It should be great fun as well as data generating.

One thing I am not concerned with is the store-bought vs grown in my soil relative values...without question my soil wins that hands down.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Yes, it is widely used in wine making. I plan to use it to see the relative numbers of my canned veggies vs fresh veggie. I would like to develop a profile of them over time up to a couple of years in the cans.

Also, I'm looking to determine the very peak of taste in veggies like corn and tomatoes while they are growing.

I'd also like to assess the steps I take in soil replenishment and correlate those to the nutrient density scores my lab assigns to my soil samples. For example, the relative numbers of green manure and chop and drop, and compost.

I'd also like to determine the optimum length of time needed for green manure soil assimilation, the relative values of Sunn Hemp, alfalfa, cow peas, clovers, etc. in their effects on soil building. I could go on and on...and I'm certain I will with this new toy. It should be great fun as well as data generating.

One thing I am not concerned with is the store-bought vs grown in my soil relative values...without question my soil wins that hands down.
A canning product as well! Farmers are the spearhead of food security. All around the world they are adapting to new demands with speed and enjoyment.
One farmer I saw on uTube had adapted his tractor to have a liquid inoculant tank on the front, a seeder on the back, and a horizontal hoe/plough that allowed him to plant a cash crop in the ground whilst not damaging his cover crop growing on the same ground. A complete gardening tool.
My aims are different - gardening into old age with a minimum of illness.

Ask a Question