Recommendations for zone 8b

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I don't really know much about that. We have only one plant but it produced over 100 fruit. :)

Interesting. I was told you need a second plant. Maybe there is another nearby. Or maybe it's the variety you have - it might also explain why your fruit isn't all that tasty.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
The usually accepted meaning for a weed is that it's a plant in a place you don't want it! :)

The accepted meaning for a weed is a "volunteer" plant that was not cultivated, i.e., a wild plant. Anything could be a weed if it simply came up where you didn't want - including the offspring of something you did.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I had heard they used a chemical that is bad for bees and butterflies...

Don't believe everything you hear. First, Lowes is not a grower so they don't use a chemical on plants. Second, all growers use some kind of chemical at some point, though not necessarily a neonicotinoid.

When I announced to one of my FB gardening groups I was working at Lowes someone posted a very inappropriate comment regarding the food plants. When I didn't respond she shared an even more inappropriate one to my wall. Later, I was at a different store location and the Bonnie plants display had a poster that all their plants are non-GMO.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Interesting. I was told you need a second plant.

No, there are no other plants within hundreds of yards. :) The varieties that can grow in this country are never very tasty (actually quite unpleasant).

You can see from the photo above that we get a lot of them. (y)

In this photo you can see that they do ripen off as well. They go an orangey red colour.

P1210895.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
You can see from the photo above that we get a lot of them. (y)
...They go an orangey red colour.

That looks like the same one I have; it grows wild in some places in the states. Do you know the scientific name of yours? I've been told some plants are not edible.

My purple, AKA Maypop is a common one, my red one is the one I just got and is supposed to make good fruit, and then someone I know has one like my Maypop, only with a more pale flower. I've been trying to get one of those to grow for the last year so I can try for fruit.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
That looks like the same one I have; it grows wild in some places in the states. Do you know the scientific name of yours? I've been told some plants are not edible.

My purple, AKA Maypop is a common one, my red one is the one I just got and is supposed to make good fruit, and then someone I know has one like my Maypop, only with a more pale flower. I've been trying to get one of those to grow for the last year so I can try for fruit.

Actually, now that I look again, your leaves are slightly different.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
necessarily a neonicotinoid.
That's good to know since I like shopping their clearance racks for sales and a lot of their plants are inexpensive. I do like supporting local business if at all possible and I want bees and butterflies around as well. Thank you for clearing that up Chanell. :)

Ask a Question