Recommendations for zone 8b

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi all,
I live on the Gulf Coast in MS and am looking for some recommendations for flowers and shrubs for my back fence. Most of the section is full sun but a portion is shade. I love the mishmash of colors and somewhat wild look that I've seen but I also want something relatively low maintenance and that likes dry feet since I'd rather not water every day once the plants are established. If anyone has ideas please let me know.
Thanks for the help. :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
We are also in 8b, with high humidity as I suppose you have, also. I have found that any of the salvia greggii (Autumn Sage) do very well, and just need pruning back in July and January so they don't get leggy. Comes in coral, red, pink, and white. Also the lantanas do very well--several colors, but if you don't have a very large space for a lantana, avoid the lantana camera which gets huge. The others are more restrained. If you want a vine, Crossvine (Bignonia capriolata) is lovely, not invasive, and blooms off and on all season with a heavy bloom in the springtime. Don't let a nursery sell you Trumpet vine (Campsis radicans) instead--very invasive, spreads like crazy, and isn't as pretty.

Attachments

• Red Salvia gregii.jpg
    Red Salvia gregii.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 366
  • Lantana Camera 1.JPG
    Lantana Camera 1.JPG
    389.8 KB · Views: 396
  • Cross Vine close-up.JPG
    Cross Vine close-up.JPG
    75.1 KB · Views: 346
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thank you marlingardener, yes it's super humid here. I bought some lantana, 2 different kinds last summer, one was a bush and the other a vine style. Both did very well until winter but only 1 came back. The salvia is beautiful. Thank you for including pictures, that helps a lot. And I would like a vine against the house, we have an old cable box I'd like to cover. Does the cross vine do well in both full sun and part shade?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Our cross vine here on the farm is in partial shade--gets a little early morning sun, about two to three hours, and that's all. The one we had in town was in full sun, and it grew faster, bigger, and bloomed more. The cross vine isn't particular, and grows with little care (I do give it a bit of composted manure in the springtime).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Oh that helps. I'd like a few plants that I can run the entire length of the back fence. Those will work in a few spots. I've been reading this forum most of the morning and have a few plants to look for at the nursery tomorrow.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
You should check with your local extension and also, just go to the local plant center and look at what's available. What are your neighbors growing? Pick out plants YOU like and then see how they perform in your area. Zones are a guideline, not a hard and fast rule. If you like a plant that is hardy to 9a, chances are you could keep it going in 8b.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Gaillardia is a great flower I would reccommend. Gets nice and full and if you deadhead it, it flowers all season.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Are you able to grow passionflower in your climate. We grow it and we're 8b but we don't get the heat and humidity that you do. In two years we have one plant that covers 25ft of fence.

Flower opening

P1210313.JPG

Open

P1170832.JPG

Fruit (not really edible)

P1210310.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
You should check with your local extension and also, just go to the local plant center and look at what's available. What are your neighbors growing? Pick out plants YOU like and then see how they perform in your area. Zones are a guideline, not a hard and fast rule. If you like a plant that is hardy to 9a, chances are you could keep it going in 8b.
Thank you so much Chanell that is exactly what I ended up doing, going to the local plant store. Last year I purchased everything from Lowes but made the decision this year to support a local nursery. I couldn't be happier, I still have a bunch of planting to do but I really enjoyed the day out playing in the dirt.
Gaillardia is a great flower I would reccommend. Gets nice and full and if you deadhead it, it flowers all season.
Hi Jb, fancy seeing you here! I will look it up for sure, thanks.
And Bootsy, I'm not sure, I'm heading back to the nursery next week and will have to look.

Here is part of what I managed to get planted this weekend. I'm hoping I will have a wall of flowers by the end of summer or maybe next year.
IMG_3549.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Our one is edible but only the birds would like it. :)

In this country, the nice edible ones are not viable. :(

I have never grown or eaten them before. Someone from the plant swap managed to get a single fruit from his vines this past year. You have to have more than one vine for them to cross pollinate. My red one is supposed to produce tasty fruit.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Thank you so much Chanell that is exactly what I ended up doing, going to the local plant store. Last year I purchased everything from Lowes but made the decision this year to support a local nursery....

Here is part of what I managed to get planted this weekend...

You're welcome! Lowes is still a good place to get plants - how many garden centers and nurseries offer a one year guarantee on the health of their plants? Smaller places often have personnel with more plant and garden expertise, but not always.

Lowes also regularly discounts plants throughout the season. BTW, I have those same large blue planters, lol. I like the way you used them in your bed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I had heard they used a chemical that is bad for bees and butterflies so I decided to support local. I also really don't know a weed from a flower so I wanted some experts who would patiently answer questions about what grows well here, not just the zone but the soil, etc... Between you guys and the nursery I hope my flowers have a fighting chance. And Lol on the planters! I had a potted flower bed last year but really wanted something more natural looking. I kept those pots to add some height. :)

Ask a Question