Re-Seeding New Lawn (Please Help)

Reaction score
Country
United States
I had a patch of my yard that was not growning grass almost kinda like a bare spot, so I threw down some Pennstate grass seed and put some topsoil to cover that as well as peatmoss. It’s slowly starting to grow in some spots but also some spots are like yellowish grass is that something I should be concerned about? I will post some photos below

41B3B30A-822F-444E-A4D6-778937B62F57.jpeg

3BD93267-7C8C-4A55-A1BF-C2208A4425FE.jpeg

C0C34BCC-4270-4D47-B2F1-C6582C7EB85C.jpeg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello and welcome Dr Pepper, I reckon there is something nasty under there, and maybe if you dig it up you will find out what it is - it could be something buried you lost - with a bit of luck it'll be a strong box full of gold o_O or it may be part of an old path, or an old tin or ..... don't forget to tell us will you.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello and welcome Dr Pepper, I reckon there is something nasty under there, and maybe if you dig it up you will find out what it is - it could be something buried you lost - with a bit of luck it'll be a strong box full of gold o_O or it may be part of an old path, or an old tin or ..... don't forget to tell us will you.
I am confused and don’t understand?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If you dig down where the grass will not grow properly, you might find something under the ground that the grass doesn't like - maybe there is very shallow soil over an old pathway, or bit of concrete. There must be something wrong with what the grass is trying to grow on.

Reaction score
Country
United States
If you dig down where the grass will not grow properly, you might find something under the ground that the grass doesn't like - maybe there is very shallow soil over an old pathway, or bit of concrete. There must be something wrong with what the grass is trying to grow on.
So am I basically screwed then? That is not a option to me to dig up my backyard?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I also heard that yellow means too much water, is that true I heard it from a ex landscaper but don’t know if he was lying to me or not. The grass around that’s is green so I don’t get why that one spot is like that

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I don't suggest you dig it all up, just have a look under that bit - or whatever you think best. Maybe stick a pot there with some flowers in it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Could be from overwatering, could be a lack of nitrogen, could be the soils pH is way out of whack in that spot.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Doesn't look like a feeding problem to me, looks like someone left a bike or something on it while it was growing and then took it away quick when they saw the damage :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Country
United States
Doesn't look like a feeding problem to me, looks like someone left a bike or something on it while it was growing and then took it away quick when they saw the damage :rolleyes:
I cut the grass on the side you can’t see in the photos and I kicked up some of the top soil and saw the grass was yellow and came here to figure what what I should do? Any ideas?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That is kind of the impression I got when I saw it but he didn't say anything had been laying there.

You say you kicked up some topsoil with the mower? Where did it go? What I see looks like you are trying to grow grass in mulch. Was there a mulch pile there before?

Reaction score
Country
United States
That is kind of the impression I got when I saw it but he didn't say anything had been laying there.

You say you kicked up some topsoil with the mower? Where did it go? What I see looks like you are trying to grow grass in mulch. Was there a mulch pile there before?
that was the topsoil I used Scotts Turf Builder soil I think it may been a bad bag cause the mulch like material you see is what was in the bag. I also used peat moss so with the combination of the soil and peat moss to do think I applied it way to thick? When I push the mower over that area it kicked up that soil and I saw that yellow grass hence why I am here trying to figure out what I did wrong

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Sounds like the yellow part was under the soil and then you uplifted the soil exposing the grass stem that was underground. The part underground will be yellow. It will green up after some time. Whatever is left that is naked may not grow any grass because it looks like it should have germinated by now.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Sounds like the yellow part was under the soil and then you uplifted the soil exposing the grass stem that was underground. The part underground will be yellow. It will green up after some time. Whatever is left that is naked may not grow any grass because it looks like it should have germinated by now.
Yes the yellow part was under the soil, do you think it would be a good idea to look under the soil in the other areas and if there is grass like this yellow grass should I expose it like I did this or see if it will grow thru the soil?

Ask a Question