Re- seeding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please advise,
I have a garden, north facing, which is part grass (moss) and-part prepared ground (with some new weeds coming through) but ready to seed, total area around 400sq. Mtrs
I was thinking of scarifying existing grass to loosen the ground and helping to remove some moss, then re-seeding all the area before putting some food into the soil.
Am I on the right track?
Thanks for any assistance.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sounds very much like the right track to me. Scarifying and getting all the moss up and out is good. Get your running shoes out and poke holes all over it for drainage and re-seed. The moss will be due to the ground being wet and shady, and the drainage is important. Some sharp sand might help.
When your grass grows (and it won't be long now before the warmer temperatures) it will always be best not to cut it too short. Leaving the clippings behind is the most natural way to feed your new area.
Watch out for birds! They love new seeds. Regular mowing is good to keep the weeds under control too.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Sounds like a damp/compact/dark area where moss likes to grow. Maybe go with a shade mix? Loosen up the soil and maybe even a soil test.

Ask a Question