Random question on SI and Imperial units.

NigelJ

Still Learning
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Given that a couple of centuries back, the American colonists objected to taxation imposed by the British crown, Boston Tea Party, revolution and then independence.
Why does the USA so determinedly stick to Imperial units when the rest of the world has happily embraced the SI system?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm not happy, much rather not have a twelve than ten base system. 1,2,3,4,6,8,9,10 are all proper fractions of twelve, ten has 1,2 and 5. I suppose decimals might be good for the brain dead who don't like thinking, but then why hasn't America taken it up?
There you go, managed to insult just about everyone there :)

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
The high cost and time-consuming process to convert has been the main reasons why the USA hasn't fully adopted metric. Many Americans also believed that using the Imperial system set us apart from other countries and that in itself was a good thing.

The metric system has been used in the USA since the 19th century but has never been mandatory. The Metric Conversion Act of 1975 legislated metric as the preferred system but conversion was not mandatory. The USA, Liberia, and Myanmar are the only countries that do not use metric,

On July 16, 1969, the USA landed and subsequently returned the first humans ever to set foot on the Moon. Considered the greatest engineering feat in History, we accomplished our calculations using feet, nautical miles, etc. as the standard. I calculated many maneuvers to accomplish the trajectory all in terms of velocity changes of feet/sec. Worked out pretty well.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
The high cost and time-consuming process to convert has been the main reasons why the USA hasn't fully adopted metric. Many Americans also believed that using the Imperial system set us apart from other countries and that in itself was a good thing.

The metric system has been used in the USA since the 19th century but has never been mandatory. The Metric Conversion Act of 1975 legislated metric as the preferred system but conversion was not mandatory. The USA, Liberia, and Myanmar are the only countries that do not use metric,

On July 16, 1969, the USA landed and subsequently returned the first humans ever to set foot on the Moon. Considered the greatest engineering feat in History, we accomplished our calculations using feet, nautical miles, etc. as the standard. I calculated many maneuvers to accomplish the trajectory all in terms of velocity changes of feet/sec. Worked out pretty well.
NASA does not use imperial units these days - no one does for that kind of scientific work. In fact, SI units (as opposed to"metric") are much more convenient and easy to use for that kind of thing, plus being less prone to making mistakes. SI is a different and more technically accurate standard than "metric", though it is a type of metric system. SI/metric units are based on natural principles - not arbitrary things like the length of the King's thumb!! Either are much less confusing for scientific and engineering calculations without the need for such odd units as Poundals to deal with. I grew up doing my engineering degree right around the time the UK started converting (lived in the USA since 1979, though). So we did both in college. I always found it easier when using imperial units, to convert to SI, do the calculations and convert the answer back at the end. Unfortunately most people do not know the different between force (weight) and mass, which really confuses the issues. For example, 1 kilogram is a measurement of mass and accurately describe a quantity of material. An imperial pound is also technically a measure of mass - not weight! The weight of 1 kilogram of material is the force it exerts (on a scale for example) under gravity - which can vary - thus it is not an accurate measure of how much you have. A poundal is simlarly the force or weight exerted by 1 lb of mass under gravity. So, all our measuring of produce by "weight" in lbs or kgs is really BS.... depending on the type of scale used. A balance scale that compares to known masses is in fact accurate, because it takes gravity out of the equasion - anywhere - even on the moon. Are you all confused now? You should be. But for most of our everday ativities, it doesn't really matter. The reason we did not fully convert to SI in the USA is due to a number of factors, mainly cost, inertia of change and resistiance by the population in general. You know, the same reasons the Brits obstinantly stick to driving on the wrong side of the road....

And, BTW, the US system is not the same as the old British imperial system. Close, but no banana. Most diferences are insignifacnt in the intereference level - except for the ton. A British ton (long ton) is equivalent to 2,200 lbs, whereas a US ton (short ton) is equivalent to 2,000 lbs. A Metric/SI tonne is in the middle but closer to a British ton.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Stolen from the internet but my favorite snipy quote really....

"No, 1 gram does not always equal to 1 milliliter. For water, this is true at room temperature. However, not all substances have the same density as water. Remember, a gram is a measurement of mass while a milliliter is a measurement of volume."

This is missing. Nobody cares that lead has less volume than an equal mass of feathers. Its that they cannot figure out what size box to put it in. Were it not for the water crossover I would not use metric.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Given that a couple of centuries back, the American colonists objected to taxation imposed by the British crown, Boston Tea Party, revolution and then independence.
Why does the USA so determinedly stick to Imperial units when the rest of the world has happily embraced the SI system?
I believe that Imperial units are more relatable to people than the "SI" system because they are based on measurements of the body. A foot is, approximately, foot length. A yard is based on the length of your arm. They are simply easier to remember and understand than meaningless strings of numbers. There are people who are number-averse. I am one of them, numbers are just not very relatable. Take yarn as an example: a "Hank" of yarn is made by stretching the yarn from your knee to your foot. A good and practical method, and relatable to humans. That's why people use them.

Reaction score
Country
United States
In fact, I do not even know what "SI" means. Nor do I care.

Reaction score
Country
United States
NASA does not use imperial units these days - no one does for that kind of scientific work. In fact, SI units (as opposed to"metric") are much more convenient and easy to use for that kind of thing, plus being less prone to making mistakes. SI is a different and more technically accurate standard than "metric", though it is a type of metric system. SI/metric units are based on natural principles - not arbitrary things like the length of the King's thumb!! Either are much less confusing for scientific and engineering calculations without the need for such odd units as Poundals to deal with. I grew up doing my engineering degree right around the time the UK started converting (lived in the USA since 1979, though). So we did both in college. I always found it easier when using imperial units, to convert to SI, do the calculations and convert the answer back at the end. Unfortunately most people do not know the different between force (weight) and mass, which really confuses the issues. For example, 1 kilogram is a measurement of mass and accurately describe a quantity of material. An imperial pound is also technically a measure of mass - not weight! The weight of 1 kilogram of material is the force it exerts (on a scale for example) under gravity - which can vary - thus it is not an accurate measure of how much you have. A poundal is simlarly the force or weight exerted by 1 lb of mass under gravity. So, all our measuring of produce by "weight" in lbs or kgs is really BS.... depending on the type of scale used. A balance scale that compares to known masses is in fact accurate, because it takes gravity out of the equasion - anywhere - even on the moon. Are you all confused now? You should be. But for most of our everday ativities, it doesn't really matter. The reason we did not fully convert to SI in the USA is due to a number of factors, mainly cost, inertia of change and resistiance by the population in general. You know, the same reasons the Brits obstinantly stick to driving on the wrong side of the road....

And, BTW, the US system is not the same as the old British imperial system. Close, but no banana. Most diferences are insignifacnt in the intereference level - except for the ton. A British ton (long ton) is equivalent to 2,200 lbs, whereas a US ton (short ton) is equivalent to 2,000 lbs. A Metric/SI tonne is in the middle but closer to a British ton.
"But for most of our everday ativities, it doesn't really matter." The truest thing said on this subject.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Metric is considerably easier for me when I'm measuring and calculating in my workshop. Fractions of an inch are a real nuisance to manipulate. But, I do think one of the reasons for the slow response in the U. S. is that people and entities are more used to the current system. Sooo much easier to use the metric system in engineering and science. From HS chemistry and physics through the first couple years of college, metric was the system we used. Get into the engineering courses, and the pounds and inches came back.

Meh. Don't care too much. Except when thinking about stupid terms like pounds of mass vs kg, and g/g-sub-c

Reaction score
Country
United States
IF I were doing science or engineering, I'd use metric. But I am not. Therefore, to figure out how big an 8mm pearl is, for example, is just a pain. Yards vs. meters (for yarn) isn't a heavy lift, it's just about a yard and a quarter. But CMs, MMs, all of that stuff just makes me glaze over. Even worse, in the grocery store where we supposedly have "unit pricing," one bottle of oil is by the quart, pint, ounce and the other by the LITER???? Give me a break.

Ask a Question