Random Coffee ground question

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 6b
Country
United States
So my kids friend works at a Starbucks. she knows I garden. she started bringing me coffee grounds. as in the last 5 days 30-40 pounds per day.
I composted some, added some in my raised beds. Is there a thing as to much ?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Yes. The NPK of coffee grounds is 2.1 - 0.3 - 0.3. You can very easily use too much and have nitrogen toxicity. Also coffee grounds are highly acidic and you don't want to really mess up your soils Ph artifically.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
The number I've seen is 20% in compost, i.e., no more grounds than 20% of the volume of the compost. Not only the acidic property but excess caffeine can be harmful to plants. You are right nothing is free.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
The number I've seen is 20% in compost, i.e., no more grounds than 20% of the volume of the compost. Not only the acidic property but excess caffeine can be harmful to plants. You are right nothing is free.

Google says fresh grounds are acidic but not the used grounds are close to neutral.

Fresh coffee grounds do tend to be acidic, even if on the mild side. Spent coffee grounds, on the other hand, veer towards the neutral. The expected pH value of used coffee grounds is 6.5 to 6.8. For reference, a pH of 7 is considered neutral.

I've no idea but if that's true I would ask her to bring the decaf and compost that @skinyea

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 6b
Country
United States
Google says fresh grounds are acidic but not the used grounds are close to neutral.

Fresh coffee grounds do tend to be acidic, even if on the mild side. Spent coffee grounds, on the other hand, veer towards the neutral. The expected pH value of used coffee grounds is 6.5 to 6.8. For reference, a pH of 7 is considered neutral.

I've no idea but if that's true I would ask her to bring the decaf and compost that @skinyea
ty it is mixed caffeine and decaf. she estimates 95% not decaf

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
A little smells grat, but I hate the smell of too much coffee grounds, catches in my throat.
If you feel the same, use that as a guide.
What I would say though, they are likely to be loved by worms.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
ty it is mixed caffeine and decaf. she estimates 95% not decaf

An option is to have (if you have room) seperate compost piles. I don't throw everything together, I keep things in seperate piles and shovel in scoops to blend together as needed. Green, brown, wood, manure, etc. It's an option to make your own super blend. I wouldn't pass up anything free that can be composted, just don't use it all at once, mix it up into a perfect blend ratio with other compost.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 6b
Country
United States
An option is to have (if you have room) seperate compost piles. I don't throw everything together, I keep things in seperate piles and shovel in scoops to blend together as needed. Green, brown, wood, manure, etc. It's an option to make your own super blend. I wouldn't pass up anything free that can be composted, just don't use it all at once, mix it up into a perfect blend ratio with other compost.
Pretty much what I did. started 3 new compost piles. 30-40lbs of coffee a day was a bit much. Will get 1 bag per week and see how that goes.

Ask a Question