Raised bed gardens

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I was thinking of doing all of my gardening in raised beds when we move into our new house. Aside from avoiding back strain, our soil here in the Pacific Northwest is really rocky and I would have to invest a ton of money in getting good dirt delivered. How deep should my beds be if I want to grow carrots and other root veggies?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I was thinking of doing all of my gardening in raised beds when we move into our new house. Aside from avoiding back strain, our soil here in the Pacific Northwest is really rocky and I would have to invest a ton of money in getting good dirt delivered. How deep should my beds be if I want to grow carrots and other root veggies?
Rocky doesn't necessarily mean bad soil. Rocks contain trace minerals. Rocks can also be a means to keep your soil aerated. It all depends on the size, type and composition of the rocks. As far as I know the Pacific NW has a fantastic growing climate and soil makeup. If I lived there, and before I would spend a dime on dirt, I would use what you already have for at least a season. Start by making what soil you have as fertile as possible before spending a bunch of money. It is easy if you start early, like immediately and it will not cost an arm and a leg. If you start now your growing area will be perfect for spring planting. Don't try to do it all at once. Go slow and do it right the first time

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
For carrots there are different varieties according to depth. Anywhere from 3" to about 8" long. You will have to experiment as to which type of carrot to grow which is determined by your soil type. There are 4 basic types: Danvers, Nantes, Chantenay and Imperator.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
I have never gardened in anything but raised gardens or pots. Just never had the opportunity. I enjoy it. Just be sure to do something to keep the soil from eroding due to unwanted pests burrowing.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
Gardening on raised beds is the best. Particularly now that it is rainy season here, the rainwater would inundate the garden especially the lower portion. Our cassava crop in our extended garden are now on raised bed for that purpose. However, during summer, a raised bed consumes more water than the ordinary ground bed since the water flows down from the beds.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Rocky doesn't necessarily mean bad soil. Rocks contain trace minerals. Rocks can also be a means to keep your soil aerated. It all depends on the size, type and composition of the rocks. As far as I know the Pacific NW has a fantastic growing climate and soil makeup. If I lived there, and before I would spend a dime on dirt, I would use what you already have for at least a season. Start by making what soil you have as fertile as possible before spending a bunch of money. It is easy if you start early, like immediately and it will not cost an arm and a leg. If you start now your growing area will be perfect for spring planting. Don't try to do it all at once. Go slow and do it right the first time

would the rocky makeup of the soil create deformed veggies? I am thinking of carrots here because the grown downward several inches. Would the rocks get in the way and make the carrots grow crooked or something?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
They might especially if you grow the Imperator or the long pointed types but really, what difference does it make unless you are going to sell them at market. I don't think you will have any problems if you grow the Danvers 126 half-long variety. They are the variety I usually grow and they are excellent either fresh, canned or frozen

Ask a Question