Quince tree not fruiting/flowering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a semi-mature quince tree in my garden. It is about 8 years old and usually produces fruit every year. Last year, we had a massive heatwave where the tree was exposed to above 110 F. This year there are no flowers and subsequently no fruit. Is this normal for quince trees to just decide not to one year? Or is the tree damaged/sick due to the heat of the year before?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When we bought this house the somewhat pretentious previous owner said, "And we have two quinces, one of each type." ????
I kept the healthy looking one and scrapped the manky one. I have found that we have very varied amounts of fruit, as little as two, though never none at all. I am E. Sussex, where we also had the heat wave, but this year it was covered in blossom. I think they may just have on and off years, unrelated to the heat.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Keep the soil aerated around the base of the trunk. Add a lot of organic compost to the soil a keep it watered. It will come back.

Ask a Question