Pruning (again!) Japanese Quince

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
I have a rather large but very nice quince, in fact 3! 2 are alongside a garage and growing up and above a pagoda. One of these is smothered in berries from the earlier flowers. I don't really prune this as the majority of it is high above the pagoda.
The second is along the garage in the same bit of garden, just basically the other end. This again I have not really pruned but this one has hardly any flowers/berries at all.

I read last year that the flowers only appear on lasts years growth so I have def made a point of not pruning the 2nd shrub yet still hardly any flowers. Any ideas why?

My 3rd is over the other side of the garden probably 2/3 yrs old and has grown massive and is smothered in berries as is the first.
However I need to prune it as it is hanging over my pond.
So if I prune it once all the berries are gone (think be Feb/March next year) I presume I will not get any flowers next year?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 8 B 15-20 F -9.4 -6.7c
Country
United Kingdom
Japanese Quince is pruned in winter, they can suffer with firelight mildew and a number of other problems which may cause your plants to be in poor condition, they do benefit from judicious pruning as can often become leggy and unruly as they flower on new wood better to remove as much old as you can without causing too much damage.Best grown in South or West facing position as they appreciate much sun. Firelight and mildew can be sprayed with proprietary insecticide and fungicide. Hope this helps

Ask a Question