Need help with my money tree

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey guys, I’ve had this money tree for over 3 years. In the first year or so it was thriving, it grew so much to the point where it was sort of small for the pot (you can see how it looked at first in last pic) Last year I repotted it to a bigger pot but ever since then it didn’t seem too happy. Leaves started to yellow/brown, it’s growing some new leaves but it’s not growing at the rate as when it was in the smaller pot, the soil on top turns white after it dries, I’m not sure what I did wrong. Is the pot too big for the tree? Should I repot it back to the smaller pot it was originally in? What should I do to the leaves that are half yellow/brown? I would really like to see it back to how it was at first but I’m not sure how to.
246E6D60-0D79-44AF-BF38-A4F41716C514.jpeg
069261EE-940A-46B6-8D23-90850ACC5FD0.jpeg
17BC740C-E08E-49A4-9F0D-BE38AF47015B.jpeg

Reaction score
Country
Canada
The white stuff is probably mold. The brown tips I think is from over watering. Did you use a different soil? It might hold more moisture then the original soil. I never grew a money tree so I don't know what kind of soil conditions they like but I think it might be from too much moisture.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I looked into it a bit, apparently a money tree does best with sandy peat moss based soil to avoid root rot and let the top few inches of the soil dry out between watering.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The white stuff is probably mold. The brown tips I think is from over watering. Did you use a different soil? It might hold more moisture then the original soil. I never grew a money tree so I don't know what kind of soil conditions they like but I think it might be from too much moisture.
Same soil as before. I usually water it every 2-3 weeks or whenever the wooden stick I have through the soil is completely dry. Is it possible that it may have too much soil for the plant? Idk if that’s a thing

Reaction score
Country
United States
I looked into it a bit, apparently a money tree does best with sandy peat moss based soil to avoid root rot and let the top few inches of the soil dry out between watering.
Okay I’ll look into that soil. But I’ve used the same soil since the beginning even when it was doing really good. I usually water the plant every 2-3 weeks or whenever the wooden stick I have through the soil is completely dry

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Okay I’ll look into that soil. But I’ve used the same soil since the beginning even when it was doing really good. I usually water the plant every 2-3 weeks or whenever the wooden stick I have through the soil is completely dry
Strange, I really am not sure then if it's not too much moisture. I don't really see it being some kind of bug because it's mostly just the tips. It's probably not good to let the soil completely dry, only the top few inches. Lack of water can also turn the tips brown. Other then too much or little water or wrong soil mix I really don't know?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Reading up some more, you should keep it fertilized during spring and summer, not in winter. And use a balanced fert. Because you are not eating it or growing it in your garden I personally would use 20-20-20 miracle grow. keep it half strength each time you water it for those months.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Reading up some more, you should keep it fertilized during spring and summer, not in winter. And use a balanced fert. Because you are not eating it or growing it in your garden I personally would use 20-20-20 miracle grow. keep it half strength each time you water it for those months.
Okay thank you

Reaction score
Country
United States
Strange, I really am not sure then if it's not too much moisture. I don't really see it being some kind of bug because it's mostly just the tips. It's probably not good to let the soil completely dry, only the top few inches. Lack of water can also turn the tips brown. Other then too much or little water or wrong soil mix I really don't know?
Yeah I was thinking of maybe downsizing the pot to how it was before & see how it does. But idk if that’ll be good or bad for it. I’ll water it now & see how it does since it’s dry on the top

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Yeah I was thinking of maybe downsizing the pot to how it was before & see how it does. But idk if that’ll be good or bad for it. I’ll water it now & see how it does since it’s dry on the top
I wouldn’t repot it again. It went into shock as all houseplants do when it got repotted.
It’ll recover but repotting it again will make it worse.
Keep it damp but not over watered lije pepper said.
When the top 2 inches feels dry, water it deeply and slowly until water run out of the drainage holes.
During spring and summer fertilize it properly and then in fall stop fertilizing and water it slightly less often.
Make sure it’s getting plenty of light and is not in dry air ( such as near an AC or heat source)
Mine likes the humidity around 50-55.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I wouldn’t repot it again. It went into shock as all houseplants do when it got repotted.
It’ll recover but repotting it again will make it worse.
Keep it damp but not over watered lije pepper said.
When the top 2 inches feels dry, water it deeply and slowly until water run out of the drainage holes.
During spring and summer fertilize it properly and then in fall stop fertilizing and water it slightly less often.
Make sure it’s getting plenty of light and is not in dry air ( such as near an AC or heat source)
Mine likes the humidity around 50-55.
Okay will do so. Any tips on how to fertilize & what’s recommended to use?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Okay will do so. Any tips on how to fertilize & what’s recommended to use?
I use Fox Farm Happy Frog for my houseplants and it’s good stuff.
Also kelp and/or seaweed fert is good.
Really you can use whatever you like as long as you dilute it according to the instructions for indoor plants.
I fertilize mine every 3rd or 4th watering throughout the spring and summer ♥️

Ask a Question