Quick Fire Hydrangea

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
United States
Soooo, I made a little mistake last year I think. I bought this quick fire hydrangea. For some reason I thought the tag said 3-4 ft tall. After I planted it, I was looking at the tag and it said 6-8 feet tall. It is quite possible I looked at a tag for little quick fire and saw this other plant looked much healthier and I just saw quick fire on the tag and just bought it. Well I saw a big hydrangea just like this in the neighborhood, and totally underestimated just how big it gets. How do I keep this within the 4ft range? Here is a picture where I planted it, in the center by the window. I didn't want to cover the whole window with flowers from the outside. Anything 3-4 feet tall is fine. I guess looking from inside it will be beautiful. Thoughts? Am I overthinking and stressing for nothing? I renovated my whole yard myself, lots of sweat and tears. I really don't have a place to move this elsewhere in my yard. Argh!

Attachments

• 20220603_215821.jpg
    20220603_215821.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 11
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Why the worry, just wait until it grows up a little over the window sill and give it a foot pruning. Just because a hydrangea says it gets that tall does not mean you have to let it get that tall. it means it has the ability to get that tall. No worries. You might in fact just love the look of it, and the flowers to let it do its thing. Perhaps not a real pruning but a little pruning to have a special look. That wall area is so boring anyway. It might also in time grow out wider, which would be lovely. Just wait.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
United States
Thank you! I will let it grow. I am with you on the wall! I cant stand that area of cement under the brick, all the homes here are like that. There used to be a giant bush covering up everything and it was boring.. Hopefully the hydrangea and weigela cover it up!

Ask a Question