Purple trees

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
These purple trees look very unique, Gata Montes. I'm not sure if I like "Covey - Lavender Twist", because in my opinion its trunk looks a little weird and scary. I love Forest Pansy tough, it's truly beautiful:) I'd love to have it in my garden.

Reaction score
There is hope - especially as I feel more than sure that your climate in the Philippines is a frost free tropical to sub-Tropical one - which if I'm correct and this is the type of climate that you have - can see no reason why you shouldn't be able to grow a Jacaranda tree where you live - especially as this is the type of of climate that Jacaranda trees prefer the most :)

The problem now is finding one and shipping it here. I hope our chairman will allow the Biology Department to have a Botanical Garden. I'm pretty sure everybody will love that magical purple tree.

We have a tropical climate, but our rainy season can be unbearable. We are also prone to many typhoons. I am not sure if the magical purple tree will like that. :(

Reaction score
Although I know for sure that Jacaranda trees do grow well in the Philippines and especially around Manila - am thinking that - even though they are suited to growing in both tropical and sub-tropical climates that they probably do best when grown in a sub-tropical climate - which as I feel more than sure that you have more than one type of tropical climate in the Philippines - means that whether or not it would be possible for you to grow a Jacaranda tree - would I think - very much depend on where you are situated.

As to where to buy one - am sure that as they are already grown in the Philippines - it may well be worth searching around the garden stores to see if there are any available and if not asking them if they could get hold of one for you - failing that you may just have to see if you could persuade your Chairman to allow you to have a Botanical Garden - which incidentally - I think sounds like a wonderful idea :)

Reaction score
Country
Australia
The Purple Jacaranda would be the tree your talking about, they can grow in Cairns in Queensland Australia which has a tropical climate aswell like the Philippines, i think its worth a shot trying to grow one there, no harm in trying :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi Claudine:

The 'Purple Tree' in the film What Dreams May Come doesn't actually exist. it is a creation of computer-generated imagery.

However, if you are still looking for a real tree with purple flowers, similar to Jacaranda but able to withstand a Polish Winter, may I suggest an Empress Tree (Paulownia spp.), a deciduous tree from Asia with a magnificent display of purple flowers, usually in late Spring.
The most commonly grown species (Paulownia tomentosa ) is able to withstand Winter temperatures of at least -23º C, possibly lower.
However, it is possible that overwintering flower buds could be damaged at higher temperatures.

Last edited:

Ask a Question