Purple trees

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Hello! I need your help. Have you watched the movie "What Dreams May Come"? I watched it yesterday and in many scenes there were these beautiful, purple flowering trees. Could you identify them for me? Have you ever heard about them? Can anyone tell me the name of these purple trees? Do they need anything special to grow? I'd love, love, love to have them in my garden:D !

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
The only tree I know of that is purple burgandy color is the purple plum tree .I do have what is called a purple smoke tree also .It gets small pink flowers that burst open and look like smoke and the second pic is the purple plum

Attachments

• house 2011 spring 030.JPG
    house 2011 spring 030.JPG
    229.1 KB · Views: 644
  • pee and pond061911 018.JPG
    pee and pond061911 018.JPG
    221.6 KB · Views: 711
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
The only tree I know of that is purple burgandy color is the purple plum tree .I do have what is called a purple smoke tree also .It gets small pink flowers that burst open and look like smoke and the second pic is the purple plum

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
boy this is not working right today .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Thank you for your response but I'm afraid it's not the tree I'm looking for. I've found my tree already - a few minutes ago - it's called jacaranda. It's so beautiful!!!:D But I'm afraid it won't grow in my climate:(

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
You could always try one of the ones I posted purple smoke trees grow all over and have really dark leaves and the bonus is the pink flower .I have 6 of them and they are all around this size right now .I stated them 2 years ago from bare root .You can keep them as shrubs also if you trim them .I am choosing to keep mine as shrubs and not tree form

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I love Jacaranda trees, they are so beautiful! My dad lives in Lisbon and they are everywhere - here's a photo he took:

dsc00267small1.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
You could always try one of the ones I posted purple smoke trees grow all over and have really dark leaves and the bonus is the pink flower .I have 6 of them and they are all around this size right now .I stated them 2 years ago from bare root .You can keep them as shrubs also if you trim them .I am choosing to keep mine as shrubs and not tree form
You are right, this is a good idea. Do these trees need anything special to grow? I live in middle Europe and winter can be pretty harsh here.
Becky - thank you for sharing this photo, it's beyond beautiful! Like a dream.

Reaction score
Is that Jacaranda tree just blossoming or is it always like that? I have a red bud tree that looks like a miniature version of the Jacaranda tree. The blossoms last for several weeks (mine are blooming right now). I'm in zone 6 and it does well.

Reaction score
Wisperias and jacarandas. Those two are the only purple trees I know of. The ones from the movie I believe are surely wisterias! That was a lovely movie, btw. Watched it and thought it was magical! It's a 90's movie, right?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Yes, I think it's a 90's movie:)
I'm not sure if the purple trees showed in it are wisterias though. As far as I remember, they were enormous. I know that wisteria can grow quite big, but not as big as jacarandas. After all, it's a vine.

Reaction score
I love Jacaranda trees, they are so beautiful! My dad lives in Lisbon and they are everywhere - here's a photo he took:

dsc00267small1.jpg

The word "purple" caught my eye. It's my favorite color and I am glad I found this magical purple tree!! This looks like a purple cherry blossom tree! I will definitely add this tree to a list of must-sees in my bucket list! Are there other places where this tree grows?

Reaction score
Just blossoming Meowmie and although Jacaranda Trees normally blossom at a similar time to some of the Red Buds - late spring early summer - they can when grown in hot climates - blossom at almost any time of the year.

I would agree though - that as Jacaranda trees will only grow in a frost free climate - that a Redbud or Cercis Canadensis would be a good alternative - especially as not only do they look very similar to Jacaranda trees - but as there are so many different varieties of Redbud - there is bound to be one that will suit most peoples climate and two of my favorites are

The multi -trunked " Covey - Lavender Twist " which once the blossoms have faded has deep green heart shaped foliage

Cercis Canadensis - Covey - Weeping Lavender Twist.jpg.gif

or Forest Pansy which not only has lavender purple blossoms

Cercis Canadensis - Forest Pansy Blossoms.jpg

but heart shaped purple foliage too

Cercis Canadensis - Forest Pansy Leaves 1.jpg

Reaction score
Just blossoming Meowmie and although Jacaranda Trees normally blossom at a similar time to some of the Red Buds - late spring early summer - they can when grown in hot climates - blossom at almost any time of the year.

I would agree though - that as Jacaranda trees will only grow in a frost free climate - that a Redbud or Cercis Canadensis would be a good alternative - especially as not only do they look very similar to Jacaranda trees - but as there are so many different varieties of Redbud - there is bound to be one that will suit most peoples climate and two of my favorites are

The multi -trunked " Covey - Lavender Twist " which once the blossoms have faded has deep green heart shaped foliage

View attachment 2919

or Forest Pansy which not only has lavender purple blossoms

View attachment 2918

but heart shaped purple foliage too

View attachment 2916

You had me at "hot climates". Does that mean there's hope that I can grow them here in the Philippines?

Reaction score
You had me at "hot climates". Does that mean there's hope that I can grow them here in the Philippines?

There is hope - especially as I feel more than sure that your climate in the Philippines is a frost free tropical to sub-Tropical one - which if I'm correct and this is the type of climate that you have - can see no reason why you shouldn't be able to grow a Jacaranda tree where you live - especially as this is the type of of climate that Jacaranda trees prefer the most :)

Ask a Question