Purple potatoes and laundry baskets

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
I have seen the various colored potatoes, but i have never grown anything except the plain white ones. This year we are going to try growing some in old tires. It is about the same idea as using the laundry basket, you just add some dirt and leaves in the bottom of the tire, plant the potatoes, and keep adding more dirt and leaves as the potatoes grow, and then put another tire on top of the first one, and repeat the process. To harvest, you just take off the tires, and then you have a pile of potatoes.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
IMG_20140420_124214.jpg
I took this picture last week when I was fixin' to cook some salmon. The tray looked so pretty with three different kinds of potatoes :love:

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
This idea of growing potatoes in a laundry basket to save space is great. The link is full of important information to allow a gardener to harvest the most from all of their hard work.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
That sounds like a fun idea and I just might try it. How much straw do you put over the potatos once the soil is in the basket?

Reaction score
I've grown purple potatoes before and have two different types this year of purple, plus a pink variety to try. I grew fingerlings in 5 gallon buckets last year and that worked pretty well. This year I'm trying them in wire baskets we made. I put dirt/compost in the bottom and straw on the sides then filled with more dirt mix. The straw was to keep the dirt in. This should be a lot easier then digging the tators out of the ground for me. Potatoes are so easy to grow, I've even grown store bought potatoes that started to grow before I could use them.

Ask a Question