Purple brussel sprouts

Reaction score
Think garlic would be a great way of improving the flavor of green brussel sprouts, as mentioned before, I too, still have truly horrific and very vivid recollections, of being forced to eat sprouts, cooked in the way your mother did Claudine:eek:

Although I do have to admit to, occasionally eating green sprouts nowadays, but they do always, have to be heavily disguised by other strong tasting foods :D which is why I'm hoping that these purple sprouts have more of a red cabbage flavor and I can try roasted purple sprouts :)

Reaction score
Think you could be right about them being more expensive, but think that, you may well stand a better chance, than the rest of us, of getting to see and taste them, when you move to Holland, seeing as they originated from Holland in the first place :D and should you manage to do so - we are all 'eagerly' :D waiting to know what they taste like.

Wow really? I had no idea, but for some reason I thought I might see some really interesthing over there :) I might end up working at one of the biggest plant arkets in Holland, I think it's located in Amsterdam. I'll post everything I can from there ;)

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Update...please dont make me eat one,they look terrible :eeew: looks like the caterpillers love them thou:heehee:

Reaction score
Zigs - how could you do that ? :D

No one will ever grow or even contemplate eating purple sprouts, after seeing them mutilated in this way :D its horrific,
and those teeth marks, look like they came from a locust or giant caterpillar rather than an aphid

I know there was mention that some of the older seed varieties, had the problem of plants being attacked by aphids and such, but didn't envisage anything quite as large or as bad as that picture portrays :confused: apparently the newer varieties don't have this problem - or so they say.

Hopefully 'Joolz68' from the UK Forum will come back with some more favorable news:)

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
:D We've had a bumper year for Cabbage White Butterflies in England, never seen so many.

If it was in the Cabbage family and you didn't net it here, it'll be looking like that. My Kale plants were stripped completely.

Reaction score
Zigs - because the brassica family are not a plant family that is widely grown around here, I never realized, until you posted the pictures of the mutilated sprouts, just how much damage this beautiful creature could do

Cabbage White, butterfly.jpg

Does protecting the plants with netting, solve the problem altogether or is there still the chance of some damage ?

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I've watched the Small Cabbage White circle over a net, then, choosing its moment carefully it closed its wings and dropped straight through one of the holes.

I generally only bother with over wintered brassicas now, Kale & Purple Sprouting Broccoli, much easier when the butterflies have gone.

Reaction score
I've watched the Small Cabbage White circle over a net, then, choosing its moment carefully it closed its wings and dropped straight through one of the holes.

I generally only bother with over wintered brassicas now, Kale & Purple Sprouting Broccoli, much easier when the butterflies have gone.

Sounds like you could do with smaller holes in your netting :D The Cabbage White might have been clever in choosing its moment carefully, but dropping in through the holes - not so clever, getting out with its wings folded would not have been too easy :D

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Agreed :D

Always having to let them out

Ask a Question