Purple brussel sprouts

Reaction score
Purple sprouts are another highly nutritious totally natural vegetable, that you may wish to add to your vegetable garden, with a view to it landing up on your plate :D gosh just realized - anyone visiting this Forum and reading all this information on healthy vegetables - is going to extremely healthy :)

Purple sprouts have recently been gaining popularity, and especially so, because they are said to have a much sweeter, slightly nutty flavor and keep their color when cooked, they are also said to be more versatile when it comes to cooking, as they can be cooked in many more ways than the traditional green ones, and some say, they are absolutely delicious when roasted.

Not only would these purple sprouts have strong ornamental value in the vegetable garden but would also look great on a plate

brussels-sprout-red-.jpg

Brussels-Sprouts-Red-Ball.jpg

These 100% totally natural purple brussel sprouts have been around for much longer than we realize, and were originally developed by a Dutch Farmer in the 1940's - who 'mated' a red cabbage with a green brussel sprout :D :oops: sorry, I meant to say " by breeding a red cabbage with a green brussel sprout "
Purple sprouts are said to have been available in supermarkets around the world since 2010, so some of you may have already seen them or even tried them.

Some of you may also already be growing them, but if not you'll be pleased to know that seeds for purple sprouts are available, and when choosing which variety to grow, 'Rubine' is said to be the best choice.

If anyone has already been growing them or has already tried them, your hints, tips and experiences would be more than welcome, either way, what do you think, will you be growing some purple brussel sprouts:)

Reaction score
They are beautiful and unreal, where can i find them? I would love to grow my own.

Reaction score
They are beautiful and unreal, where can i find them? I would love to grow my own.

Not sure if the seeds are available in Garden Centers, but they are very definitely, quite widely available online, so you shouldn't have any problem getting some :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
They look lovely! I'd love to give them a try sometime.

:D gosh just realized - anyone visiting this Forum and reading all this information on healthy vegetables - is going to extremely healthy :)

You haven't seen how I cook my brussel sprouts - cut up and fried with pancetta! Delicious :LOL:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Wow, they look really good!
But I must add that I hate green brussel sprouts, in my opinion they're horrible:eek::p I hope that the purple ones are tastier, because I would like to grow them in my garden:D

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I don't like the green ones, wonder if these have got a better taste?

Reaction score
Claudine and Zigs

I too, am not particularly fond of green sprouts either, especially as I still have very vivid memories, of being forced to eat them as a child :eek: but they say that these purple ones, taste much nicer and sweeter than the green ones and have to admit, I do quite like the sound of the purple roasted ones - definitely sounds like a really good way to eat them.

I'm hoping that someone may have either tried them or grown them, so that we can find out what they taste like, especially as I like red cabbage and am wondering if they have a similar flavor.

Love the color of the plants though and would happily grow them in the vegetable garden - even if I didn't want to eat the purple sprouts myself :D

Reaction score
Found this on them,

http://blogs.laweekly.com/squidink/2013/02/purple_brussels_sprouts_weiser.php

I'll ask if anyone's tried them on the UK forum too :)

I too, found very similar information to yours, which was helpful of course, but the information relating to these sprouts attracting more insects and aphids because of the sweetness - seems to differ greatly, with some saying that the newer seed varieties made this a thing of the past , which is again, one of the main reasons that it would be great, if we could get some more information from someone who has actually grown them :)

Think you idea of posting this question on the UK Forum is a great idea, especially as sprouts appear to be a very popular vegetable in the UK :D

Reaction score
Wow, this is the firsrt time I see something like this! I absolutely love purple! This would be a dream come true if we were talking about flowers ;) but actually another purple vegetable is cool. Too bad they haven't made their way here :( I still remember the other thread of yours (the one about the coloured vegetables), it's so strange they haven't made it here yet, but I bet they'd be more expensive than the average ones.

Reaction score
Wow, this is the firsrt time I see something like this! I absolutely love purple! This would be a dream come true if we were talking about flowers ;) but actually another purple vegetable is cool. Too bad they haven't made their way here :( I still remember the other thread of yours (the one about the coloured vegetables), it's so strange they haven't made it here yet, but I bet they'd be more expensive than the average ones.

Think you could be right about them being more expensive, but think that, you may well stand a better chance, than the rest of us, of getting to see and taste them, when you move to Holland, seeing as they originated from Holland in the first place :D and should you manage to do so - we are all 'eagerly' :D waiting to know what they taste like.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Think you idea of posting this question on the UK Forum is a great idea, especially as sprouts appear to be a very popular vegetable in the UK :D

One member is growing them :)

From Joolz68

Ive grown some from a funky veg kit but not been to the allotment for a few week so i will have to get up there and update :)

Reaction score
I like the green ones, so these would just be icing on the cake for me. Love the picture of the hanging plants. Never grew them but they are quite ornamental.

Reaction score
I love brussel sprouts. I love them when they are lightly sautéed in butter and garlic.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I must say that brussel sprouts sautéed lightly in butter and garlic sound pretty good. Maybe I would like the vegetable more if I knew how to prepare it. My mother always cooked them and didn't add anything to them. The taste of it was more than horrible:eek:

Ask a Question