Propagation of Maranta leuconeura 'Lemon Lime'

Reaction score
Country
Norway
Hi,

I'm eager to propagate my M. leuconeura 'Lemon Lime' and I'm wondering which medium to use when propagating.

I usually use sphagnum moss for propagating Monsterae, but when I did a quick Google search I didn't find anyone using moss for propagating Marantae.

Basically I'm asking if I should use water or sphagnum moss for my Marantae cuttings.

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forums @JungleJorgen :) This is an easy plant to propagate. Use stem cuttings and cut just below a node. Put the cuttings into a mix of perlite and peat based compost - almost any other material will suffice as peat is not used quite so much these days. Keep a plastic bag over the pot of cuttings to ensure plenty of humidity and leave it in a bright place. Make sure to water the cutting material well before you start.
You can perforate the plastic bag to allow your cuttings to breathe, or take the bag off to shake off excess water from time to time so that it doesn't get too wet and start to rot.

Putting cuttings in water will grow roots, but the subsequent rooted ''baby'' doesn't always transplant to the potting medium very well. The cuttings put into compost will have a better start.

Ask a Question