Monstera Propagation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello I'm trying to propagate a monstera mini in water, they both have new leaves growing but don't have roots yet. I'm concerned that the tips of the leaves are going brown. I'm quite new to this and so I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong? How can I help the tips of the leaves from going brown? Please help, thank you.

DSC_0610.JPG
DSC_0609.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
United States
Hi, this doesn't look like a monstera, looks like a tetrasperma. Did you cut to have a node on the bottom? The root will come from the nodes. Roots can take a few weeks to establish in spring/summer. Fall and winter i wouldn't even try.

If you want to accelerate rooting naturally, add a pothos cutting in with your other water propagation. Pothos has a natural producing chemical or whatever that will speed this up. Pothos will also need to have a node on it to root and help your other plants.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you for your help, I thought it wasn't a monstera. I brought it on etsy as a monstera mini, it appears I have been miss sold. I followed some other advice which made the browning worse and since then its dropped a whole leaf. I've only got one leave left but its looking OK, with a little node on the bottom. I have taken your advice and put it in with my pothos cuttings. Fingers crossed it will doting back. Thank you for your help! X

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
United States
I have never heard of monstera mini before, I googled it. I know what you have is part of that whole plant family. I swear people are just making things up these days lol. I really hope it roots for you now :)

Ask a Question