Boston Creeper Propagation

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi folks.

I'm trying to get some Boston Creeper vines started, so it will crawl up my house. It faces the south and the soil is very good.

I can't seem to get some vine clippings started. I've tried in water and soil and they always die. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Any pointers? I would like to get the vines started up the wall this summer.

Any insight appreciated. Cheers

pics:

- My current attempt in water (with some rose clippings)
- Some cheap flexible plastic planters I made

Attachments

• IMG_8105.JPG
    IMG_8105.JPG
    245.2 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_8093.JPG
    IMG_8093.JPG
    300.7 KB · Views: 35
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
The easiest method is, to simply peg down or let the runners contact the soil. Soon roots will form at the back of the leaf stems. Even very long runners will root this way, giving loads of new plant. When the new plant-lets are well rooted, simply cut the runner, and pot up.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
Get chunks with roots down near the soil line. Cut off almost all the leaf and vine above ground. Get it out of the direct sun.

The vines in your pic are way too long.

@Mike Allen has the easiest and most reliable way. Put the middle of some of the vines with leaf nodes - after you rip off the leafs - in a pot under soil and keep it moist / watered.

Or look up "air layering".

Do you really want this growing up your house? The vines will damage the siding all the way to doing damage to brick and mortar joints.

The previous owners of my mouse planted it on the east and north side of my garage without the intention of it growing up the vinyl siding. Well it grew up UNDER and behind the vinyl siding. The siding is damaged because of it and needs to be replaced. And I had to spend multiple days now (only had the house for a year) pulling it out and trying to kill it.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Thanks for the replies.

Unfortunately I don't have access to the root part of the plants. Both are in a cemetery and I'm restricted to making cuttings only. I can't start pulling plants out, and large portions. Maybe I need to just find some to purchase.

I've researched all kinds of vines (I have two Listeria) and I have found that Boston doesn't damage modern grouts. I want the vines to shade the house as it's expensive to keep this place cool in the summer. I don't have vinyl. I'm in a modern town home built in 2004.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I have purchased some seeds as availability of these vines is sparse and expensive. Maybe a new thread on this if I need some insight.

Ask a Question