Propagation and rooting hormone

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello! I would like to explore propagation. I wanted to propagate some of the house plants I have and was wondering about rooting hormone. Is it good for a beginner to try and use it? Is there a certain rooting hormone that I should go for? Thanks!

Reaction score
Country
United States
First it must be said that many plants root easily without the aid of additional plant hormones. This is true of many of the more common houseplants, though by no means all. In many case, synthetic rooting hormones can improve rooting odds and percentages, especially with many difficult-to-root woody plants.

Brands I have used include Rootone, Dip n' Grow, and others. I was satisfied with the results, but there are many brands with identical ingredients and I do not want to endorse any brand in particular. There are numerous reviews and product comparisons to be found online. Note that some powdered or liquid rooting hormone compounds also contain fungicides, which may or may not provide additional benefit, depending on the situation.

If a plant is not rooting successfully for you, or you know beforehand that rooting hormone is recommended, by all means do try it. Beginby using the product according to the manufacturer's protocol. However also understand that some advanced propagators have developed their own fine-tuned methods and formulae, which may be learned online, or in textbooks and specialized journal articles.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
First it must be said that many plants root easily without the aid of additional plant hormones. This is true of many of the more common houseplants, though by no means all. In many case, synthetic rooting hormones can improve rooting odds and percentages, especially with many difficult-to-root woody plants.

Brands I have used include Rootone, Dip n' Grow, and others. I was satisfied with the results, but there are many brands with identical ingredients and I do not want to endorse any brand in particular. There are numerous reviews and product comparisons to be found online. Note that some powdered or liquid rooting hormone compounds also contain fungicides, which may or may not provide additional benefit, depending on the situation.

If a plant is not rooting successfully for you, or you know beforehand that rooting hormone is recommended, by all means do try it. Beginby using the product according to the manufacturer's protocol. However also understand that some advanced propagators have developed their own fine-tuned methods and formulae, which may be learned online, or in textbooks and specialized journal articles.
Thank you!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Those synthetic hormones are not good for you, damp your cutting to make it stick and be gentle with it so it doesn't puff up, you don't want to breath it in. Like Marck says a fair few things will root without it, but it does help with more reluctant things. Cuttings can come from all parts of a plant; roots, stem, leaf ; worth Googling 'Propagating ....' to find what works best in a particular case.

I love propagating, many of my lavender and box cuttings have ended up at school fetes a couple of years later, not to mention all the succulents.

Ask a Question