Potted Spruce loosing needles and turning brown

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone. Thank you for tou help in my previous post.
Today I would like some advice on my potted spruce. The needles were falling and turning brown. Really dry branches so I decided to give it a good water until it all ran through the pot. I then left it to let the excess drainage run though and then put it back onto window sill.
It has since grown mould on the soil and the branches are still drying out and needles falling. Can I revive this in any way?

Attachments

• 20220208_111727.jpg
    20220208_111727.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 12
Reaction score
Country
United States
This Spruce (Picea) is ailing and it might not survive. Its best chance is to be put outside in full sun.
Both the soil and container it is in must have excellent drainage. If not re-pot immediately. Keep the soil damp but do not overwater.
If it could be planted in the ground (again in full sun with good drainage) its chances might improve.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Marck,

Thank you for your reply. Sadly I can't plant it outside in the sun or soil. I live in a flat without any grounds.
The pot that it's in has a hole in the middle, but maybe I could repot it and put a layer of pebbles on the bottom to help aid drainage? I think I did over water it and probably best to repot it anyway ans try and squeeze some water out. Would you recommend a plant food liquid?

Reaction score
Country
United States
If you are going to try it as a houseplant, put in the sunniest window, but realize that Spruce (Picea) do not make good indoor plants.
If this does not work out don't be discouraged. Try again with one of the many tropical plants that are popularly grown as houseplants.

I wouldn't focus on repotting right now, but don't water it again until the potting soil looks dry on the surface.

Ask a Question