Potted Apricot Tree Dieback

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi all,

I have a dwarf Apricot tree in a large pot which I have had for 2 years. 3 or so months ago the leaves started to curl and die back/go brown. This happened during a period I went away for a couple of weeks and my wife didn't water it regularly (I'm in Australia, so was in summer). We also moved house around this time.

I took the leaves to a garden centre and they thought it was non watering that caused it. I removed all the curled/brown leaves but the problem is still happening despite regular watering. The new growth (which is only on one branch too) has these orange spots. It seems the soil is draining well based on the weight of the pot

Does anyone know what might be causing this and how I can try to cure it noting we are going into winter here.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230429_150104_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20230429_150104_Photos.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_20230429_150038_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20230429_150038_Photos.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 5
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
United States
It looks like a nutrient deficiency but I can't see the leaves very well. Can you take another picture?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
You’re heading into Winter so won’t be seeing new growth for several months. You can check to see if the other branches are alive by gently scratching the bark. Start at the tip of each branch and work down until you find green, moist, tissue under the bark. Everything above that point is dead and can be removed. Do this once now and then wait until Spring to show you where its still alive.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I've attached a possibly better picture. I'm aware that it's going into winter. I've removed most of the leaves that were brown and curled. I'll prune it back to just living tissue (which I've already done once) and hope it comes back in spring. I was going to give it a feed of something like bood and bone towards the end of winter

Screenshot_20230501_110229_Photos.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
That it still has green leaves is a good sign it will come back in Spring. A good feed as it’s coming out of dormancy will do it good.:)

Ask a Question