Potted perennial in summer / transplant to garden in fall?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hello! Apologies if this is a silly question but I'm pretty new to this. I am looking for a plant to use (over the summer months) in the planter pot on my front porch but I don't want to waste money on annuals. I would prefer, if possible, to use a perennial over the summer months and then transplant it from the pot to my garden in the fall. I noticed at the garden centre that some of the perennials say on the tag that they can be used 'in containers' so would these ones be okay? I've gone to two different garden centres and have asked for advice but was not given much help in either case. Thank you!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Agreed, prune after flowering, plant out in autumn, are good general rules of thumb. But if you want to save money and like annuals why not grow from seed? Probably a bit late this year, but seed is cheap and usually plentiful. Next year you could probably even get your money back and make a profit selling the surplus :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello! Apologies if this is a silly question but I'm pretty new to this. I am looking for a plant to use (over the summer months) in the planter pot on my front porch but I don't want to waste money on annuals. I would prefer, if possible, to use a perennial over the summer months and then transplant it from the pot to my garden in the fall. I noticed at the garden centre that some of the perennials say on the tag that they can be used 'in containers' so would these ones be okay? I've gone to two different garden centres and have asked for advice but was not given much help in either case. Thank you!
For Summer it is good to grow perennials as these bloom best in the hot. You can try alliums, astible, beardtongue, black eyed susan, blanket flower, bugleweed.... as these perennials in different planters would definitely enough to give the astonishing look to your front porch and the the best thing of perennials is that these grow back ever year and require less efforts.

Ask a Question