Re potted plant not growing

Els

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I re potted a plant over six months ago. Then all the leaves fell off and it is growing again, but really really slowly. Help and advice please? Shall I give up on it or not? It was given to me by someone who’s no longer with us, so I’d like to revive it.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Do you know what it is? There are various things can happen with repotting. Some plants react if the new compost mixture is different from the old one and mix the two a little at the same time to make the transition easy for the roots some you can chuck in anything any how and they love it. Some need watering after, some hate it. It is difficult to tell what happened without further information about what it is and what took place. A picture might help.

Els

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Do you know what it is? There are various things can happen with repotting. Some plants react if the new compost mixture is different from the old one and mix the two a little at the same time to make the transition easy for the roots some you can chuck in anything any how and they love it. Some need watering after, some hate it. It is difficult to tell what happened without further information about what it is and what took place. A picture might help.
Thank you for your reply. I think it’s a dragon tree?

Attachments

• C7EF8D3F-61E8-4E85-AD4F-46443F7283E0.jpeg
    C7EF8D3F-61E8-4E85-AD4F-46443F7283E0.jpeg
    103.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 61270CDD-A5F5-443D-88E5-5959FA2A48E3.jpeg
    61270CDD-A5F5-443D-88E5-5959FA2A48E3.jpeg
    88.9 KB · Views: 6
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am no great expert on indoor plants, but they are supposed to be pretty bomb proof. The main problem seems to be with overwatering, did you put it in a pot with a good drainage hole and use a free draining potting mix?

Reaction score
Country
United States
My mom was/is a master at bringing the dead plants back to life.
She always said , not to much water.
I dont know what growing medium is good for a dragon tree but I would say as posted above get rid of any standing water. Let it dry out and water lightly

I dont know anything about dragon tree plants but might want to get some purified water, tap water can have to many chemicals. Like Chlorine

If it has signs of life , give it time.
Make sure it gets the right light and temps. It took 4 months for my Ochid to even show signs it would come back and a year to fully recover and send out a bloom stem

Reaction score
Country
United States
When transplanting into a larger container you rais the water volume. IF you continue to water as you did before the transplant you will overwater. Let the soil dry at least an inch or two before watering again.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Don't know too much but I have a couple of the wide leaf varieties. Only time I had trouble with one was over-watering one. Need plenty of light too. Biggest problem I have in u.k. is lack of light don't have much light coming into my house most of the year. So I bought a grow light as my schefflera were dropping leaves like mad. Putting a light on them has stopped the leaf drop so far. But need more lights I think.

Ask a Question