Poinsettias

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
It is getting about that time of year again and the stores are filling up with everyone's favorite Christmas plants, the Christmas tree and the Poinsettia.

78437421_XS.jpg

Poinsettia's, as beautiful as they are, are very poisonous. Please keep away from children or animals.

Poinsettia's, like the Christmas tree, hardly last after Christmas. Not because the plant is an annual and only last for a short time, but because they are not properly cared for. In an article I found at the News~Sentinel, author Jane Ford goes over some tips to caring for your poinsettia and enjoy it year after year.

Gardening column: Here are some tips to care for poinsettias

Reaction score
I just love the rich colors of this plant...it definitely screams Christmas unfortunately i don't own a Poinsettia plant however my neighbors garden boast some beautiful ones but i don't remember seeing them blossom all year round...chances are he is doing something wrong...not that i could go over and say that to him...i'd never hear the end of it.:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I just love the rich colors of this plant...it definitely screams Christmas unfortunately i don't own a Poinsettia plant however my neighbors garden boast some beautiful ones but i don't remember seeing them blossom all year round...chances are he is doing something wrong...not that i could go over and say that to him...i'd never hear the end of it.:)

Oh they won't bloom all year round, but they will live to rebloom every winter. I think most of the time they are green and only turn red during the winter time. The red starts to fade after that.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
United States
This year the shops have a few poinsettia's that are died shade of blue which they have sprinkled with glitter. They really are pretty in a fairy sort of way, that what they make me think of anyway. I have been looking for the Confetti ones, they are pink with dots of red, white or green. Really quite striking, but so far besides the blue all that I see available are nice reds and the traditional pink. There is not that many white ones this year. Try as I may I have never been able to get them to grow much after April. they just seem to burn out.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I kept mine going for a while after Christmas. The second year they started having problems though, and eventually died. I kept mine in pots, but I have seen them growing in the ground outside of people's homes and they can get really large in a good spot. One day I may try again...

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Unfortunately I am one of those that can not keep the plant living long past Christmas. I have tried to follow the instructions given to help the plant stay alive but I think I get busy and forget about the plant for too long.

I do try every year because they are so pretty.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
My mother has two poinsettias. They're very big and healthy, but I don't like them, because they remind me of Christmas. It's my least favorite holiday:(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 6
Country
United States
If a poinsettia is planted in a flower garden outdoors, would it survive being outside all winter long?

Reaction score
Country
United States
The plant breeders have certainly been most creative with Poinsettia (Euphorbia pulcherrima). I enjoy seeing the wide variety of bract colours and patterns, but I agree that the original red forms still possess a classic grandeur.
I particularly enjoy seeing them growing to their full dimensions when planted outdoors in warmer regions. The early cultivars, closer to the wild plant, are usually better for this purpose.

ee09312f147f47c8eb65cddf1cff8cd6.jpg

Ask a Question