Poinsettias

Reaction score
I have grown poinsettias for years in containers and given them as gifts. Currently I have about 12 containers of healthy poinsettias ready to bloom. Last year I found an unusual variety of poinsettias and paid a hefty sum to buy them. These plants were orange/ red and their leaves were not shaped like the normal ones. Beautiful as they were they just did not survive for more than three months. I cut out healthy stems and planted them but none of them survived too.
I was wondering if I should spend money again on those beauties. How do I take care of these plants and how do I propagate them?

Reaction score
I have no idea. An orange variety sounds beautiful, but I don't know why they would be any different than regular poinsettias. Do you know what the variety is called?

Reaction score
Yeah, most of the leaves look long and pointed only some have the regular shape of poinsettia leaves. No, the assistant in the shop had no idea what it was called. It was beautiful though. I wish someone would come along and tell me how to care for these plants.
Last year we went trekking on some hillsides and found a wild variety of poinsettias. These are not deep red as the store bought ones but are very hardy. The bracts are not so attractively colored but they grow to heights of 10-15 meters and are look very healthy, bushy and beautiful around Christmas time.

Reaction score
They are referred to as "Freedom Orange" and "Harvest Orange" poinsettias and are really gorgeous plants.

When the leaves start to turn yellow, decrease the watering. Keep your poinsettia in a cool place and dry until the end of April. Prune the plant and leave about 4 inches in stalk height. Increase the amount of light you give the plant, but not direct sun. Plant outside once the danger of frost is gone.

orangies.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i was in homebase selly oak birmingham today and theyve got bigish ones for £6 and extra large ones for £10...the usual red ones and the paleish yellow ones

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I pick up yard waste and every time after Christmas people throw out various plants, including Poinsettias, which I pick up and plant, but usually forget about them and they get grown over. However, I have three Poinsettias now growing in the front of my yard that I collected last year (2022).

I cleared away a bunch of plants from around them and they are actually looking very healthy. And with the cool weather the leaves are starting to turn a bright red (just like in the picture above) and they seem to have blossoms in the middle, like above.

Ask a Question