Please enlighten me: roses and roses... and yet more roses..

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
Flatlander I Totally agree That Zones can or Could Have a effect on depth for Ideal Planting of roses. If It works For you Go for it. (y) I Had a fun rose planting job a few days back Planting in a vine yard. The Customer wanted a red roses planted in front of every red Grape And a white rose Planted in front of every White. Roses are coming back in to fashion in England a few years back People round my way wanted Semi Tropical type gardens & all the old English style plants like roses where out ............but not anymore:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Probably @Flatlander, but I haven't looked for them as I've always bought bare-rooted from a reputable nursery in Essex. :) Potted plants are also expensive and I won't pay over the odds for a pot and a little soil. David Austin is one of the worst in my opinion with roses usually costing at least twice the price of bare rooted and not as I've seen so far in the best of condition. People pay for the name attached.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Roses are coming back in to fashion in England a few years back People round my way wanted Semi Tropical type gardens & all the old English style plants like roses where out ............but not anymore

I agree with you @Daren. Semi tropical plants and the British weather are not the best of companions and can be costly in losses in our damp climate and more recently bad winter. I think gardeners have learnt from their mistakes and are returning to more traditional planting.

I also think their are fads in gardening similar to others like the 'must have' cars being SUV's in the last decade or so. Garden decking springs to mind, that apparently is now out of fashion.

Yes, roses are coming back! Thank goodness! :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Flatlander I I Had a fun rose planting job a few days back Planting in a vine yard. The Customer wanted a red roses planted in front of every red Grape And a white rose Planted in front of every White.

@Daren I've seen that done a time or two. Once even a pink rose, as you can see. For rosé wine, I suppose! :)

IMG_0273.JPG

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have found since moving to North Carolina that there is such a thing as a wild rose. They grow everywhere up here. They are a vine that can reach 15 feet tall. They produce no flowers

We have wild roses in Ohio, but ours flower. Tiny flowers about the size of a nickel. (About 21 mm, for those who don't live with nickels! :ROFLMAO:.) I'll take a picture this summer when they bloom and post it here. :)

Here is a wild one - volunteering to grow in the cement surrounding the dumpster at work!! o_O

0523181955.jpg

0523181946a.jpg

0525181619.jpg

I have happily pointed out the milkweed and wild roses to my bosses so many times that they have told the landscaping crew to quit spraying for weeds! :D (I'm sure they are still charging the same, so they don't care!!).

Yay!! :joyful:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Here is a wild one - volunteering to grow in the cement surrounding the dumpster at work!! o_O

View attachment 37692

View attachment 37693

View attachment 37694

I have happily pointed out the milkweed and wild roses to my bosses so many times that they have told the landscaping crew to quit spraying for weeds! :D (I'm sure they are still charging the same, so they don't care!!).

Yay!! :joyful:

I am still waiting for ours to flower. I bought rose fertilizer and have been weeding around them. So far no flowers but the plants look great.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
On a couple of the small ones it looks like I may have flowers by the end of the week. On the large ones there is nothing. The leaves look exactly the same but the branches on the bigger ones are huge. Many are over 6 feet long.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
It will be interesting to see the flowers. On the larger ones it may be worth your while hard pruning them during their dormant season - if you have one. :)

Ask a Question