Please enlighten me: roses and roses... and yet more roses..

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
@Sheal here's some of my roses, they're all Hybrid teas.
IMG_20171017_171141.jpg

IMG_20171017_171150.jpg

IMG_20171017_172128.jpg

IMG_20171017_171105.jpg

Still got a lot of buds on this one
IMG_20171017_171215.jpg

Some do have single flowers
IMG_20171017_171051.jpg

IMG_20171017_171224.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20171017_171208.jpg
    IMG_20171017_171208.jpg
    282.4 KB · Views: 338
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Could I tag along and ask about preparing a rose for winter? I found ours were just rootstock so the grafts must need to be covered in mulch perhaps? I am in 8a Alabama

There are two lines of thought here... one is, that the graft should be below the soil surface, say two inches, the other, that it should just be level or above soil level. I often confess to one who challenges and at times contradict the books etc. Just a simple theory. When the graft is sub surface, it will be kept moist. If and when the graft is stuck out in the open, it has no protection. To add to the confusion. What happens when you, attend to the rose bed, either tittyvating up or applying a mulch. Di you end up with some raised grafts and others buried. Sorry friends. I do like to stretch science at times. Happy gardening.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
@Mike Allen I've got a lot of roses and they were planted about 20 years ago. At that time they said plant with the graft above the soil,so we did. They're still going well without no problems. I've planted a new one early winter and it's under the soil,so see how it goes.:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I know you posted ages ago @Sheal .... but your rose is fabulous!!!:) My Dad has one the same shade, has yours got a gorgeous scent like his has?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I have found since moving to North Carolina that there is such a thing as a wild rose. They grow everywhere up here. They are a vine that can reach 15 feet tall. They produce no flowers and have thorns about double the size of domestic roses. Up here the people call them milaways because if you get stuck by one people can hear you cuss a mile away.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
If the graft of a rose is below ground then the chances are suckers will be produced. These grow from the original rootstock and will not flower the same as the rest of the shrub so need to be pruned out.

Thank you @Upsy Daisy. :) They are two different roses, the first picture is 'Ebb Tide' and the second 'Blue For You'. They look similar but were planted away from each other in a bed of nine. Both were perfumed. I'm speaking in the past tense here as they were in my previous garden, but I've kept the pictures of them all.

How do you know it's a rose @Silentrunning if it never blooms? All our wild roses here bloom.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
If the graft of a rose is below ground then the chances are suckers will be produced. These grow from the original rootstock and will not flower the same as the rest of the shrub so need to be pruned out.

Thank you @Upsy Daisy. :) They are two different roses, the first picture is 'Ebb Tide' and the second 'Blue For You'. They look similar but were planted away from each other in a bed of nine. Both were perfumed. I'm speaking in the past tense here as they were in my previous garden, but I've kept the pictures of them all.

How do you know it's a rose @Silentrunning if it never blooms? All our wild roses here bloom.

If our weather warms up a bit I will take a picture of the leaf formation. I don’ Know that it is a true member of the rose family but that is what everyone calls them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
@Mike Allen I've got a lot of roses and they were planted about 20 years ago. At that time they said plant with the graft above the soil,so we did. They're still going well without no problems. I've planted a new one early winter and it's under the soil,so see how it goes.:)
I bet your garden looks a picture when the roses are in bloom. A couple of years ago, I came across a HT. My Valentine. I had to buy it. My late wife, (My Valentine) was actually born 14.2.1944. Fantastic blooms. Strong, full bodied, does not fade. As a cut bloom or left on the plant, I have logged it as lasting 19-21 days before it begins to show signs of fading/dying.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
712BAC95-82CB-4273-BA8B-AC6C467E5579.jpeg
Sheal, here is the photo of my “wild rose”. The wild one is on the left and the clipping on the right is from a rose in our flower bed. I hope you can see the detail clearly enough. They both have 5 leaves per branch and the same configuration of opposing leaves and a single leaf at the end. Let me know what you think.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks Silentrunning. (y) Well it certainly looks like a rose. The only difference I can see is the leaves look longer/narrower than most roses and the serrated edge only seems to go part of the way down the leaves. I don't understand why it doesn't flower though. The only ideas I have are - it may be lack of fertiliser or water. Or it's so busy producing long stems it doesn't have enough energy to put into flowers.

I'm intrigued! If they grew here I would dig one up and plant it in my own garden, then nurture it for a couple of years just to see if it would produce flowers. :)

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Since this is the forum's "Everything Basic about Roses" thread, I would like to know - is the hybrid tea rose the one grown for long stemmed roses? From reading Sheal's description and looking at Logan's pictures, I assume it is, but I always like to check. :unsure:

I have found since moving to North Carolina that there is such a thing as a wild rose

We have wild roses in Ohio, but ours flower. Tiny flowers about the size of a nickel. (About 21 mm, for those who don't live with nickels! :ROFLMAO:.) I'll take a picture this summer when they bloom and post it here. :)

I don't understand why it doesn't flower though. The only ideas I have are - it may be lack of fertiliser or water. Or it's so busy producing long stems it doesn't have enough energy to put into flowers.
I'm intrigued! If they grew here I would dig one up and plant it in my own garden, then nurture it for a couple of years just to see if it would produce flowers. :)

I'm intrigued, too, because ours do flower. SilentRunning, would you be willing to throw a couple horse apples on one? :LOL: I love a good experiment! :geek:

Ask a Question