Please enlighten me: roses and roses... and yet more roses..

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Appeal to all rose experts: What is a shrub rose, a hybrid tea?

As you know, I'm not a gardener and was asked by @Logan if my purple rose is a shrub rose .. I am out of my depth, (ah, there isn't any depth!) Please tell me more about the varieties of roses.. If the discourse is too long, tell me what a shrub rose or hybrid tea is please... Or any relevant info that I need to know.

Thank you in advance.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
A rough idea for you Alp. :) Other members may want to add to this as roses are a wide subject.

A shrub rose grows in bush form to a height and spread of approximately 4ft depending on the variety and specifically named rose.

A climber grows high with very little spread in comparison.

A rambler grows high like a climber but tends to spread more covering any frame or building.

Patio roses have a growth of around 2-3ft usually, being smaller than a shrub rose, ideal as their name suggests for patio pots.

Miniature roses tend to be indoor plants, height approximately 12-16 inches.

A hybrid tea rose generally has one flower per stem, where as a Floribunda has multiple flowers on each stem. Both are shrub roses.

I grew Floribunda's in my last garden (a coastal position) as they are hardier than other roses.

Have you a picture of your rose please @alp, I might be able to identify it for you. :)

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I will take photos later! I'm glad that I ask.. So much useful info! Thank you, @Sheal

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Could I tag along and ask about preparing a rose for winter? I found ours were just rootstock so the grafts must need to be covered in mulch perhaps? I am in 8a Alabama

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
This might help you, but I hope @Sheal will come to your rescue.

if you are in a cold winter area.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Oh, crumbs! I'm shivering look at the conversion! Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi DirtMechanic. :) I'm sorry I can't help you with over wintering roses, temperatures here are higher so there is no need to mulch as shown in the link that Alp kindly posted.

I would suggest that mulching is a good idea, but you must remember to remove it come the growing season as the rose been grafted may well produce suckers from that graft, these being unwanted shoots from the original rootstock.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Dirtmechanic, let us know where you are in the states--overwintering roses changes according to winter climates. Here in zone 8a or b Texas, I cut our roses (all antiques and own root stock, no grafted hybrids) back to about 1/3 of their height and width, pile 3" to 4" of compost around them but not touching the stems, and let nature take its course. The first year the rose is in the ground I water once a month during winter (Dec., Jan., Feb.) and when the little red nubbins start to appear on the stems, I pull the remaining compost back and if it doesn't rain, I water deeply once a week. Watering deeply means watering until there is still a shimmer of water on the ground around the rose.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I am 30 miles south of Birmingham, AL. The humidity, summer heat can be stunningly offset by the occasional cold winter. It is the nature of the transitional zone in which I live. I overlooked some vining fence ramblers and they died back to the rootstock, so I am trying to aquire some basic knowledge before I replace them. I want to say thank you for all the useful tips.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
DirtMechanic, you zone's weather is like ours! I've found several roses that not only tolerate our humidity, heat, and occasional cold snap (20 degrees for two or three days) but thrive.
For climbers or fountain roses, see if you can find Crimson Cascade. It is so hardy I have to cut it back twice each year. It's thorny, but we have to pay a price for gorgeous.
Also, Nacadoches is a yellow shrub rose that blooms and blooms. It will get 7' tall, and can stand severe pruning. I love this rose!
And if you want a more restrained rose that is red, heavy bloomer, and gets about 3' tall, Sophie's Rose is a very good choice. Sorry I don't have a photo, but take my word for it, this rose is a winner.
All three are own-root roses. None need dead-heading or babying. I do dead-head occasionally just because I like to commune with my roses.

Attachments

• Crimson Cascade in full bloom.jpg
    Crimson Cascade in full bloom.jpg
    331.7 KB · Views: 415
  • Nacogdoches Rose.jpg
    Nacogdoches Rose.jpg
    478.2 KB · Views: 385

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
A rough idea for you Alp. :) Other members may want to add to this as roses are a wide subject.

A shrub rose grows in bush form to a height and spread of approximately 4ft depending on the variety and specifically named rose.

A climber grows high with very little spread in comparison.

A rambler grows high like a climber but tends to spread more covering any frame or building.

Patio roses have a growth of around 2-3ft usually, being smaller than a shrub rose, ideal as their name suggests for patio pots.

Miniature roses tend to be indoor plants, height approximately 12-16 inches.

A hybrid tea rose generally has one flower per stem, where as a Floribunda has multiple flowers on each stem. Both are shrub roses.

I grew Floribunda's in my last garden (a coastal position) as they are hardier than other roses.

Have you a picture of your rose please @alp, I might be able to identify it for you. :)
A hybrid tea, also has clusters of flowers. Some look like florabundas

Ask a Question