A few to ID please

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
These were all at Disney, but I would possibly like to use them in my in garden.

IMG_20181127_164746499.jpg
IMG_20181127_163206066.jpg
IMG_20181127_145617991_HDR.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I sure plan to try. Not sure how come sensitive they are, information is minimal
11-9b. 25f. Once in a blue moon we get lower than 10f even though we are supposedly 8a. Even then we are not supposed to have a frost line. The plant is a form of ginger and has a rhiZome that looks like culinary ginger one buys in a store. Maybe the root would survive here. But so far I think that would mean the leaves would burn back and it would not grow properly. There is a lot of info under the other names. Try triocolor ginger on google. I don't try outdoor plants that are at the high or low edge of their usda zones here. I aim for the middle. Less work in the end and we still have a lot to choose from.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I tend to push it a bit on the zones. We are 9a. I have several bananas and they do ok, I do get some freeze damage when we get below freezing long enough, but the rhizomes do fine. If be willing to try just about any tropical, as long as the rhizomes survive and I don't have to replace year after year then I'm happy. And we rarely get below freezing for more than a few hours, so serious rhizomes damage is unlikely.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
2nd one could be impatiens
I just KNOW that name is a play on how long those little buggers take to sprout from seed. If they sprout that is. Of all the plants I have tried from seed, Impatiens treated me the worst. I definitely did something they did not like. And I would start them by now for next season.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Man just looking at that picture reminds me I need to get a few more bags of mulch! The brown is left over from grinding the stump down from the palm tree that was there.

Ask a Question