A few to ID please

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
May I suggest that you don't plant the lovely tricolor so far apart. You don't want to have one plant here, one plant there. People even suggest a patch of five or 7 of the same. You want to plant the two close, not that far so that you have a striking patch. What aspect is that patch please? Better still, check the hardiness and leave one indoors if not hardy enough. Go for a chrysanthemum, big dark red one or even aster, s pink onr,so that you can have colour in winter and colour that goes with red in your tricolor.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
May I suggest that you don't plant the lovely tricolor so far apart. You don't want to have one plant here, one plant there. People even suggest a patch of five or 7 of the same. You want to plant the two close, not that far so that you have a striking patch. What aspect is that patch please? Better still, check the hardiness and leave one indoors if not hardy enough. Go for a chrysanthemum, big dark red one or even aster, s pink onr,so that you can have colour in winter and colour that goes with red in your tricolor.
The entire bed is maybe 10x20...ish. the plan is to grow both patches so they are larger and border the ends with a large Canna mat in the center. There are various Canna variety in there, so it's a bit hap hazard I guess. But I like it. The tricolor will have to grow into it as I don't want to spend the money at $13/ plant x 5-7 plants per bunch that's $130-$182! I'm hoping they spread through the rhizomes like Canna or bananas do. If that's the case i should be able to double the size of those clumps by spring and only grow from there.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
May I suggest alstromerias. Cheap and cheerful and they flower for a long long time. They will take over, but if you it right, you will have a lot of long and beautiful flowers. I have Inticancha

Alstoinca.jpg

Indian summer is also brilliant. One plant will spread very quickly. Don't curse me if they take over. Also, they are quite hardy down to -15 and they love heat and drought as well.

Ask a Question