Plants for new patio area

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thoughts please!

The raised bed at the back of my patio needs planting up! It’s roughly 8 meters long.
The kitchen faces out to this so I want something that looks good all year round.

I’m more a fan of greens and leaves rather than something too flower heavy or too multicoloured (although a couple of pops of colour would be nice). I have seen some photos of borders on google that I really like, using what looks like different ferns and decorative grasses but I’m not sure which varieties I should be looking at and what kind of mix will give good year round interest, and a good mix of sizes.

So with that very thin description hopefully someone can help suggest a schedule of plants that would look good here?!

Thanks

Attachments

• 59E2E2BE-D40D-4274-9CFC-C3290BF89B87.jpeg
    59E2E2BE-D40D-4274-9CFC-C3290BF89B87.jpeg
    261.4 KB · Views: 14
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forums @Overthefence (good name) :)
1681684229172.png
For me, Stipa gigantea would be a must. This, planted in a strategic place to allow the best part of the view behind to still show. Pittosporum tenuifolium is also a super shrub, if you choose the variety purpureum, it has insignificant tiny purple flowers which are not showy, but have the most fantastic scent. The pittosporums are evergreen. I like to use an ivy in my green displays. The favourite one is 'goldheart' - another evergreen, and useful because it trails, and climbs too if you want it to. I have a similar green bed with these plants in. I also planted Choisya ternata there, which - like the ivy can be clipped. Ferns like to stay in shady places mostly, and are not always at their best, however they will fit in quite well with the shelter you can offer. Escallonia could be useful, and easy to clip back to keep in shape. Green globe Hebe is a nice neat plant too. I could go on, and on, and on.
It would be great to see what you do choose.
PS. I just remembered the evergreen neat Carex grasses, that would look great towards the front. :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What a fantastic detailed reply. I’ve googled all the plants you mentioned and they all look great. This will definitely help me get a plan together. Thank you for spending the time.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
You are ever so welcome, and it would be smashing to see how you get on with it. I love the way that patio area is designed. Bear in mind, that the Stipa is a grass which is see through. It will not hide a building. This would be best allowing a view of the tree area behind. A Pittosporum in the right hand corner might grow tall enough to hide the house there a bit. I've trained two of mine to form an arch over a pathway.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
United States
This will not help you any but I love the gardening world we live in. I can read or be a part of someone's garden who lives in another country. I just love it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Thoughts please!

The raised bed at the back of my patio needs planting up! It’s roughly 8 meters long.
The kitchen faces out to this so I want something that looks good all year round.

I’m more a fan of greens and leaves rather than something too flower heavy or too multicoloured (although a couple of pops of colour would be nice). I have seen some photos of borders on google that I really like, using what looks like different ferns and decorative grasses but I’m not sure which varieties I should be looking at and what kind of mix will give good year round interest, and a good mix of sizes.

So with that very thin description hopefully someone can help suggest a schedule of plants that would look good here?!

Thanks
What is your sun exposure to this area?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It’s north east facing so it gets some sun in the morning but on the whole is quite shady because the house blocks the direct sunlight in the afternoon.

Ask a Question